Driving in Cuba


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba
January 22nd 2013
Published: January 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

It is worth visiting Cuba just to see vibrant but decaying Havana with its wonderful old colonial and neo classical buildings.

However to drive around Cuba gives the opportunity to explore the country and experience Cuban life outside of Havana.

Previous blogs describe our tour to Vinales in the West of Cuba, Playa Giron and the Bay of Pigs, Trinidad and Cayo Coco.

Hire car costs were similar to Europe. We hired a Kia. Petrol at 1.4 Cuban Convertible Pesos per litre was much less than European petrol prices.

The roads outside of Havana were very quiet and you could cruise along at a steady 100km/hour. After leaving the "Autopista" main highway routes you had to be careful to avoid the occasional pothole. The main worry was the slow moving traffic such as horses and carts.

Finding directions was also difficult because there were very few road signs but the locals were always helpful when we asked them for directions.

To drive along the road with many old American cars from the 1950's was a great experience but there were many goods vehicles belching smoke from their exhausts. The wide roads often 3 lane highways often had almost no traffic.

Food is not a strong point in Cuba but there were good restaurants in Havana.

There is a lot of poverty but people seemed generally happy with life and there was plentiful rum and cigars!

Some houses we saw were very basic, often wooden shacks in the countryside.

Touring by car gave us the chance to visit many places and to see some of the Cuban history, lots of different birds and marine life and the lovely countryside scenery. There was also the occasional unforgettable moment such as the day we travelled through Cardenas. The whole town was full of people on horse and carts and bicycles and we felt like we had travelled back in time.

Many tourists often only stay in "all inclusive" holiday resorts with maybe an occasional coach trip to a site of interest.

Cuba by car is a great experience and gives lots of flexibility to go where you want and when.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



22nd January 2013

Wonderful Cuba!
You are the third person I know who raves about the magic of Cuba. One of my friends here in Sydney has been a couple of times and just loves it. Obviously you can't buy happiness as the people of Cuba seem to prove! Thanks for your observations of what is doubtless a fascinating country! M xx

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb