Cuba II - Road tripping


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba
August 15th 2009
Published: August 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we left Habana on Monday morning and went westwards along the coast. We stopped shortly for lunch in the nicely prepared but rather unspectacular National Park "Las Terazzas" and made it to the nice little town of Vinales until Monday evening. The beautiful landscape consists of karstic outcrops that range out of the soil.

On day two we went on along the coast driving on bumpy and only hardly frequented roads. As hitchhiking is a very usual thing in cuba we picked up several passengers on our way which mostly have been a nice company for a couple of kilometers. In the evening we arrived in the southwest of the country in Playa Maria La Gorda. A long and hardly frequented beach in front of beautiful and incredibly clear turquoise waters. As cubans usually must not go on boats the marine life is very intact for what we had a great scuba-diving experience with a stunning visibility. Not that deep underwater but still impressive are the snorkelling opportunities around this area.

At the hotel in Maria la Gorda we met some very nice and funny (sometimes crazy as well, but not more than us 😊 Danish people Julie, Amalia and Mads... As renting a car can be sometimes really difficult in cuba (the rental company is just unorganised and their staff not too keen to work) we packed all of us 5 into our little car and went on together...

On the way back to Habana stopped at a Tobacco Farm (what somehow everybody does, that goes to Cuba - celebrities like Nicholas Cage not excluded) called Alejandro Robaina, which was quite interesting...

Erik and I were about to go to Isla de Juventud on Friday, 31st August, but we spontaneously skipped this (it just turned out to be too expensive) and went on to Trinidad, where we met up with our Danish friends again on Sunday. Trinidad is a nice little city with a charming colonial flair - and its pretty touristy. However, it comes up with good nightlife and nice music, as the spontaneous street jam session performed by the cubans who just "gave a try" playing my guitar.

The next day we hit the bumpy road for a couple of hours and went on to Cardenas, which is on the northern coast close to Varadero. Over there we enjoyed another relaxing day at the nice beach.

Getting back to Habana on Wednesday road tripping ended and the Cuba trip was finished with some nice days in the city...

All in all - an awesome Cuba-Trip! Thanks to my skanidavian friends for the great times! 😊

Greets


Additional photos below
Photos: 128, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Government ad-boards only but everywhereGovernment ad-boards only but everywhere
Government ad-boards only but everywhere

... they can get kind of annoying by the time


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb