Culture shock #1


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Oeste » La Habana
February 5th 2007
Published: February 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So here we are in La Habana - its pretty cloudy and raining - not exactly what we expected! Got pissed on the plane watching Jackass and Borat and arrived 1.5 hours late due to mist in London!

we were greeted by a massive queue at immigration and we somehow managed to be the last to go through - and then......there was a power failure and we were left searching for our bags in the dark!!

Taxi ride to hotel was pretty spectacular - vintage cars and people, buildings, music, the smell of tobacco in the air - a million miles from Londres...

Our plan was to go and explore the city but instead we fell asleep and woke up this morning completely confused..

Today we had breakfast on the roof overlooking the city - got accosted by a fellow Brit who is here waiting for Fidel to pop his clogs so he can photograph the event - we think he was actually a druggie from Hackney...dodgy.

went for a walk round downtown and bought some cigarettes (30p!) and photographed cars and people whilst being followed by a slightly persistent tout.....

Made our way to the Viazul Bus station for what turned out to be a full day in the waiting room waiting and waiting and waiting for the seemingly non-existent bus to Guanabo.

Luiz the 'friendly' bagman kept assuring us the bus was arriving any minuto whilst telling us his life story....needless to say we resorted to DRINK!!

Ended up getting a taxi back into Havana only to find ourselves miraculously staying at THE house of JESUS!

Some might say he does not exist but we can assure you he does and he even took us out to dinner in Hanoi (not Vietnam)

Was time for beddy bobyes - buenos noches (yes we learn mucho espanol aqui)


Pip and Mel
xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb