9.0 Cuba and home


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Matanzas » Varadero
February 17th 2018
Published: February 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We left Buenos Aires in the early hours of the morning and flew to Havana, via Lima, Peru. Arrival at the airport was organized chaos, as are many aspects of Cuban life; money and internet being two examples. As the world becomes a cashless society, Cuba is basically cash only and for tourists they even have their own currency, which is tied to the US dollar (even though US dollars themselves are not wecome and despised in Cuba). Sterling and Euros rule the roost here.

Since the revolution the country has seen many changes. Now there is education and health care for all. However before the revolution there were trains and a decent bus service. No trains now and the buses are inconsistent and appear to run when someone feels like driving one. You see many American cars of the forties and fifties. The main reason for this is that cars are so expensive. There are only a certain number of cars allowed on the roads, but when you consider that a 2 bed house can be bought for US$25, 000 and a 20 yr old Lada is US$12, 000, you get the picture.

Our hotel in Havana was the Hotel Mecure Sevilla. An historic place where Grham Greene wrote ‘Our Man in Havana’ and when prohibition was in full swing in the USA, Al Capone took over the top floor in order to do business with the local white rum producers. Certainly the rooms need upgrading, but you could say that about much of Havana. But the atmosphere is unique.

We had an excellent tour guide, Lester (‘as in Piggott’ he told us) and he gave us many tips on what to see in Havana. For this tour, Serena generously allowed her assistant Ian to choose venues and routes and for me Ian had cunningly placed the carrot of Ernest Hemingway’s Bar as the last port of call! Flying in specially for this tour were Peter and Cathy Sedgwick, who added laughter and volume to the proceedings. Sadly, but not unsurprisingly, Hemingway’s Bar was completely rammed. We did however manage a glimpse of the bronze statue of the great man leaning against the end of the bar. (I am sure the Black Horse, Fulmer will do the same for me on my demise!)

Our last day as serious tourists was a day trip to the tobacco
The museum of the revolutionThe museum of the revolutionThe museum of the revolution

Castro apparently fired on US ship from one of these Russian tanks
region of Cuba. We travelled in style in a 53 Chevy and 52 Dodge. Miles and miles of dual carriage ways (in generally better conditions than the Bucks roads in UK) but all virtually empty. People stand by the road side hoping for lifts or perhaps a bus. Apparently they usually get picked up after three or four hours and they are willing to pay.

Our destination was Vinales, which is in a most beautiful valley, which reminded us of Malaysia or perhaps areas of Vietnam. We were shown how the tobacco was dried and how usually five or six different types of leaves are put into a cigar. All the nasty bits get sent to make cigarettes! We were also given a lesson on how to smoke a cigar and all the dos and don‘ts of cigar smoking etiquette.

Lester also took us to an agro restaurant for lunch and we feasted on local produce.

Our last four nights were spent in an old Sandals hotel in Varadero. This was all inclusive and full advantage was taken.

Now back in UK, so you will be relieved to hear that ‘That’s all folks’! We have had an educational and highly entertaining two months and it seems strange not having someone make a cup of tea for you. Fortunately the sun shines and only a month till the clocks change.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

The Bush junior caption (Will Trump be added?!)The Bush junior caption (Will Trump be added?!)
The Bush junior caption (Will Trump be added?!)

Shame the Cubans could not get their English correct
Pinar del RioPinar del Rio
Pinar del Rio

All shops are state owned


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb