Uvita to Puerto Jimenez, Magrove Kayak Toucans!


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 8.53622, -83.3051

Up and finished our packing, said our goodbyes to Craig and right on time the shuttle arrives and we are off. It was a full shuttle and we even picked up two more people at a place that was high up in the hills and were very thankful the driver was so skillful going up and down the road. Began to sweat it that we would miss our bus but got to Palmar Norte and two minutes later the bus to Puerto Jimenez arrives. Same way every time!

Got our bags loaded and got on the bus and settled down for the ride up and over the mountain to Puerto Jimenez. Left Palmar Norte at about 9:30 and arrived in Puerto Jimenez about 12:15. There was a man who has place up in the mountains above town that was checking to see if anyone wanted to stay there and Robert recognized him from last year and struck up a conversation and he offered to take us to Cabinas Jimenez.

Juan Carlos was working there again and seemed a much happier person. He made the comment that we should hit John up for an upgrade since we were such loyal customers. We agreed with him and he went and talked to John and we were upgraded. One of the rooms overlooking the pool and the Golfo Dulce with our own private sitting area outside. Nice!

First thing we did was check the tide times and high tide in the morning is later than we would like as far as being in the sun but hey we will manage. Here you really need to pay attention to the tide especially if you are going into the manglar because you would get stuck in there and be eaten alive by the mosquitoes just waiting for you! More about the effects of the tide flucuations later.

Decided to go for an afternoon paddle and headed out to the left for a short warm up paddle. The tide was not at high but we were able to head into the manglar where we saw two toucans and two fiery billed aracari. What a treat! There is a tree that has fallen across the river and you cannot get across except at high tide. On the way back we were entertained by some flying fish.

Cleaned up and headed to Il Giardino for dinner. Same as it was....had pizza and caprese salad and enjoyed the waves and visit



Additional photos below
Photos: 77, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb