The fascinating 'manglar' at Parrot Bay Village


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 8.53622, -83.3051

Parrot Bay manglar by the day-- There may be more stories but trying to bring this series to an end and set off on our new adventure!

March 27th

Up and bicycled over to see what we could see in the Parrot Bay manglar. We left Tropicales around 6a.m. and it looked fairly deserted at the Parrot Bay but the trail was still in existence so off we went. Of course this is therapy for my healing of my foot. We ride the bicycles over to Parrot Bay with hiking poles and spotting scope in the basket. The hiking poles help stabilize me as we manuever over roots, rocks, and holes that might trip me up. It is such a lovely place and you just have to be careful!

The first part of the manglar is dry. Mark said this is because it is so dry right now and there is no groundwater to keep the area moist when the tides go out. First thing we saw was a young bare throated tiger heron that did not seem to be in the least bit worried by us and continued to sit on the branch he was on watching the water.

We were hoping to find the boat billed herons we had seen here in years past. We usually saw them in the water near the Puerto Jimenez Yacht Club but since they have cleared that area there did not seem to be much activity on that side. Looked and there they were, two of them in the tree. One seemed to be more secretive than the other but they are so interesting to watch. They are called boatbills because-------their bill is very wide and flat and does kind of look like the hull of the boat turned upside down.

Both the large ringed kingfisher and the small green kingfisher were chattering from side to side of the manglar. Did not see any evidence there was a nest anywhere but they were sure active. There were some great white egrets feeding along the shore as well as at least one small heron.

It was very enjoyable to just watch the various birds. We were the only ones who came into the manglar while we were there. Robert did see a small caiman but I did not. Headed back to the room to cool down and fix brunch.

March 28

Got up to do the same routine as yesterday and bicycle over to Parrot Bay and see what we could see. On the bike ride over really have to watch the road as well as traffic because there is always the danger of falling over. There is one place where the road is really bad and has some big potholes. Unfortunately, it is also on a curve and trucks tend to like to take the middle of the road so it is the time for THRILL SEEKERS!

Safely to Parrot Bay and it was really alive with birds today. The first bird we spotted wa a roseate spoonbill in early breeding plumage. The water was still and so the reflection was great. Feeding along with him was a immature little blue heron, great egret, snowy egret and green heron. It was quite a show as they moved back and forth occasionally jockeying for the best spot.

The bare throated tiger heron was in evidence as well moving along the shore. He would raise the feathers on his head and puff his sides out. Not sure what the meaning of this activity was but was interesting to watch.

There were two small to medium caimans in the water fishing and we actually got to see both of them catch a fish and munch/crunch it down! Quite a sight to see. While we were being entertained by the caimans, all of a sudden about 15-20 different types of herons and egrets flew out of the manglar heading who knows where. It was a beautiful sight to see.

As we were walking back to the entrance, Robert signalled for me to stop walking. A toucan has flown in above my head! They are so quiet as they land and unless they are calling you would never know they were there. Watched until it flew off and continued toward the entrance and got to see 3 iguanas climbing up a tree one after another.

Then back on our bikes and as we went past Delfines,the scarlet macaws were up in the trees making all manner of noise. Stopped to watch them and as Laura carefully made her way past tree roots, etc. she managed to find two macaw feathers!

It was a very good day to be out enjoying nature!

March 29

Well, every day cannot be an awesome birding day but it was great fun. When we got there, few birds were to be seen but the vultures. But do not worry, the vultures are quite interesting looking. There heads look like the old pictures of knights in armor (think chain mail headdresses) Then their black feathers look like "knights in black satin", I know poetic liberty at play! They hop around, make interesting grunts and squeals.

Most of the herons never appeared but we did get to watch the caimans successful in their fishing one more time. We headed back toward the entrance and sat down to enjoy the "to go coffee" we brought and watch the antics of three wood rails moving about on the shore.

As we headed back we got to see the mangrove hawk in the tree on the nest. Every day has something special to observe. I believe it was this day we were joined by some locals going to feed the caimans. Had their bag of "bloody chicken parts" and the lady actually was making noise as she called to the caimans to come out and get fed. She hollered at us when one did surface but we chose not to go see what had happened.




Additional photos below
Photos: 260, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb