Off to the land of the turtles


Advertisement
Published: July 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So after our first early morning trip to the airport, we did it all over again! This time we caught our flight and flew out to the village of Tortuguero. We had decided to fly since there are no roads going there and we would get to see some of the country from the air. We arrived at about 6:30am and caught the water taxi into the village.

The village is prettty small, with about 700 people on a small spit of land with the Carribean ocean on one side and a river and jungle on the other. Bonny, the guy who runs the water taxi showed us to a place to stay. On the way his dog followed us. When we asked the dogs name, he said he was called "Feeling", since the dog was feeling bad when he got him.

We rented some rubber boots and went for a hike through the jungle in the nearby national park. We saw our first spider monkeys, a small deer and a herd of pecaries (wild pigs). And of course some rather large spiders to terrorize Trish.

In the evening we went with a guide to see the turtles. Once it is dark they crawl up out of the ocean, dig a hole, lay their eggs in it and then head back into the ocean. The turtles are massive (over 1m long) and it was amazing to see them in action.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb