Manuel Antonio Weekend


Advertisement
Published: June 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Two Monkeys 12 secs
2: Beach Panorama 17 secs
Up-Close MonkeyUp-Close MonkeyUp-Close Monkey

This white-faced monkey was almost close enough to touch.
5 or 6 spider monkeys, at least 8 white-faced monkeys, 6 sloths, 4 pairs of scarlet macaws, 10-20 crocodiles, two large iguanas, numerous miscellaneous lizards, tons of hermit crabs, one baby aguti and two adult agutis, one toucan and a very busy raccoon -- that was the wildlife count from our weekend at the Pacific Coast. We saw most of them within the borders of Manuel Antonio National Park, where the unusual land formation creates calm, greenish blue water with smooth beaches bordered by the palm trees and forests where the animals live. We had the chance to hike through the forest, enjoy the beach, use the pools at the hotel, eat some incredibly good food, shop for bargains at some little stands near the public beach, go dancing and even sing Karaoke. Our driver, Carlos, had some hidden talent! All in all, it was an amazing weekend. Pictures and videos really can't do it justice, but maybe they will give you a little bit of the feel of the place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Dinner at the HotelDinner at the Hotel
Dinner at the Hotel

This was a nearly-full group shot at our first dinner at the hotel on Friday night.
Kayla at the OverlookKayla at the Overlook
Kayla at the Overlook

A nice shot of Kayla at the overlook where we caught our first good glimpse of the ocean.
At the OverlookAt the Overlook
At the Overlook

Brayden, Laura and Whitney at the overlook.
El Rio TarcolesEl Rio Tarcoles
El Rio Tarcoles

This is the Tarcoles River, where we saw a bunch of . . . (see next photo).
CrocodilesCrocodiles
Crocodiles

We were on a bridge safely above them.
Laressia and groupLaressia and group
Laressia and group

Laressia and the rest of the group are on the bridge looking at the crocodiles.
Looking at the MacawsLooking at the Macaws
Looking at the Macaws

When the scarlet macaws were spotted, we got out of the bus and started trying to get closer to get some good photos.
Macaw in FlightMacaw in Flight
Macaw in Flight

I had to enlarge this one quite a bit, but you can see the beautiful colors of the scarlet macaw in flight.
Where's Waldo?Where's Waldo?
Where's Waldo?

Can you see the macaw sitting in the tree?
Getting ReadyGetting Ready
Getting Ready

Our group took a few minutes to get ready to enter the national park.
SlothSloth
Sloth

We saw a number of sloths in trees like this one.
Hitting the BeachHitting the Beach
Hitting the Beach

After a short walk, we set up our area on the beach.
The ViewThe View
The View

The beach area was beautiful!
Study Abroad at its BestStudy Abroad at its Best
Study Abroad at its Best

Alysse, Kayla, Courtney, Laura and Whitney on the beach
More "Studying"More "Studying"
More "Studying"

Stephen and Justin relaxing on the beach
ASU Plus OneASU Plus One
ASU Plus One

Abby and Laressia are at the group's "spot," but can you spot the new ASU student in the tree above them? (It's a white-faced monkey.)
Another SunbatherAnother Sunbather
Another Sunbather

This iguana was also sunbathing nearby.
Closer ViewCloser View
Closer View

A closer view of the monkey hanging out near the group. He was depressed because no one would share snacks. (Feeding the wildlife is not allowed).
HikersHikers
Hikers

Seven of us took an extra hike to see what else we could find in the forest.
UphillUphill
Uphill

We hiked mostly uphill for the first half of the hike.


Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb