Rethink needed!


Advertisement
Published: July 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So our plan to head to the corn islads first has dramatically failed! The people in the costa rica backpackers hostel were not that helpful in letting us know how to get to the corn islands, their attitude was basically get to nicaragua via this bus and then find your ow way to get to the corn islands! The tica bus seemed to be the correct bus to get to nicaragua as it goes to the city of managua but for us to get to the corn islands, we would have to get a bus to rama and then a boat to blue fields and then another boat to the corn islands which are about 50 miles off the coast ad these boats only seem to leave on a saturday ad wednesday so that screwed up our plans a bit! Anyway, we dcided that the best option was to do grenada, ometepe and leon all in the next week and a bit and then head to the corn islands in a week and a half on the wednesday!

So with this plan in mind we headed down to the tic bus terminal on the other side of san jose, definitely in the down town area! We didn´t feel safe in this city as it was and then we found out that the tica buses to nicaragua were full up till monday (it now being friday)....NO WAY WERE WE GOING TO SPEND THE WEEKEND IN THIS DUSTBIN OF A CITY!!! Luckily a very friendly lady lent us her phone card to ring one of the other bus companies as we had no coins on us as we had used them for laundry and the shop in the bus terminal where we could get change was closed! However, the phone call was pretty unsucessful as the lady was speaking ridiculously fast spanish and us being us were unale to understand! We managed to conclude from what the friendly lady was saying who lent us her phone card that the pther bus terminal was about 200m down the road The problem was that it was starting to get a bit dark and it was a friday night! We had been wrned numerous times that san jose is not safe for tourists at night, let alone three girls and we did at one point get a look from this guy that looked to say what the hell are you doing here! Nice!

Anyway, with the three of us holding hands, probably looking lie the biggest prats ever and being the only 3 white girls in sight, we finally found the bus terminal! However, when we got there, we found out that in fact we needed our passports which we did´t have! our luck was defnitely not in again! However, the guy said that he could resrve us onto the only bus available for saturday which was the ´executive´ bus and that we would have to return at 7am on sat morning to buy the tickets. We settled for this despite it being more expensive than the normal bus but at this moment in time, we couldn´t give a dam about money! We just wanted to get out of this place!

We needed to get a taxi bak to the hostel and luckily a friendly taxi driver saw that we were probably in need of help and he managed to take up back to the hostel! Again he warned us about the danger of San Jose at nighjt ad continued to point out groups of guys on the way back naming them ´bad boys´....brilliant! Locking of the doors by us three in the back of the taxi definitely followed! haha!

I think we were all pretty relieved when we got back to the hostel and we decided that we would attempt to make our first dinner which comprised of scrambled egg mess and tomatoes and a lot of pepper! Suprisingly it was not as bad as we thought! Anyway, an early night was had by us all as we were not going to be able to have a lie in again but hey ho.....ncaragua here we come!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.135s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb