June 6, 2023


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Once more up with the birds and first light before 6. David and I toured the grounds as usual and saw the herons and whistling ducks etc. Those are the photos that are named but not numbered.

Today was our one thing planned – the Ecotermales Hotsprings. When we arrived around 9:15, there were only 2-3 cars in the parking lot: a German lady living in England who had been dropped off by tour bus (sad story – she said David was really the first person she’d chatted to for 5 days, the others on her tour being Spanish speaking, and no one else from UK having signed up). We went from area to area – the ones furthest “up the hill” being the hottest. In fact, not everyone could sit in the shoulder-massaging-hottest waterfalls. Unlike last year, the deep pool near the top was no longer the hottest. There was a cool dip near the bottom where water came in fresh from a mountain stream. Jean had worried that the kids would get bored and brought a card game, but they had a great time, including getting to order fancy drinks and nachos from the very helpful server. After feeling like cooked spaghetti noodles a few times we decided it was lunch time – and you have to get dressed for that. Ooops, no options for our careful dieters.

So we decided we had noodled enough and went off to the soda in La Fortuna that our guide yesterday had also recommended. Very tasty. Very reasonable. And a short amount of souvenir shopping accomplished. We needed to get back around 3 as Joaquin had promised a tour of the property. That’s when we discovered the cute towel swans on the bed done by Yadi, we have to assume.

It was indeed the “3 hour tour” but without Gilligan. First we walked just around the house – and found a delicious fruit with center seed that we’ve seen the birds enjoying. It was very good. Tasted like a mangosteen to me but was nothing like it. He gave us some limes and “miracle berries.” They make sour things sweet. Fascinating. A giant bread fruit tree. Some day I must try that. Evidently this is not a local dish (in Mexico it is sold ready to prepare, as it takes quite a bit of hacking to cut thru to the meat) but is probably here because the owners are very much into horticulture.

Then it was time to cross the bridge and venture into new territory beyond the barbed wire. We did see the cayman again, but too hard to photograph. Water lilies were closed by then, so good thing David got a photo in the am. First we wandered thru the banana plantation and learned quite a bit. Well done, Mike, as Dario had needed a nap at this point. And Joaquin speaks softly and quickly! Evidently the bananas are ready to produce in only months – I think 9. And after they produce about 3 times, they are hacked down. Other plants have already started coming up from the base by then. The blue bags are not for pollination, but to keep the birds away. Actually these plants were all plantains, not bananas.

We wandered further to the cassava or yucca plants. At 9-10’ they were less than a year old. He pulled a “tree” right out of the ground and showed us the tubors growing at the stem. In a few more months they will be maximum size for harvesting. We saw plants that were only 3-4 weeks old, still small as it has been dry of late. Another vegetable I need to try more – Dona Rita had cooked them one way, and here one of the children had had them mashed.

No snakes said Joaquin, because the ground is worked so much by the tiller that it disturbs them. We could see Arenal from here, and the property is indeed extensive. He has lived here since he was 6. Obviously much more than an employee. Evidently the original ownere died 30 years ago, but the Mrs. is 90 and in excellent health. 2 daughters and a son inherited: the daughter has his place and the local land and turned it from a dairy cow area to the cassava and plantain farm we see today. The others are a vet and in hotel business.

We were hot and sweaty when we returned 3 hours later – just in time to shower and get ready for our final Yadi-prepared dinner. Everyone but Megan loves fish so we ordered 7 plus empanadas. Delicious, and not one bit overdone. We had them with tostones and chimichurri and rice. Very very yummy.

All the adults gathered in our room for a reckoning of finances, esp as we owe for all these dinners and breakfasts in cash!!! I love this big room of ours. After that we were so exhausted we felt asleep on our huge bed and just couldn’t rouse ourselves to do the usual posting at night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb