May 28


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We didn’t have to wake at the crack of dawn but still had time for a walk with Dorie down the road before breakfast.t On that walk we found THREE new lifers – a type of martin and 2 pigeons!!

We were back to eat Dona Rita’s lovely breakfast, this time fruit (mango, watermelon, papaya, kiwi) and watermelon juice, omelettes with cheese and canned tuna (very tasty), and coffee from the Tico Keurig (see photo).

Then we were off to La Tirimbina Lodge, where you can buy a day pass without a guide. Right away we saw a sloth and one howler monkey. We decided to do the longest trail, and that turned out to be the only one we did – it got incredibly hot even tho we started before 9. Didn’t see many birds at all, but many interesting insects, 2 red poison dart frogs, leaf-cutter ants making trails along our trail, huge trees, and fascinating vines and flowers. And 2 NEW birds: an orange-billed sparrow and gorgeous long-tailed tyrant (a flycatcher with long forked tail that kept darting out over the river to catch dinner – very difficult for David to capture because the bridge moved a lot, esp with another group walking on it.

It poured for about an hour after we returned home. Sadly, the heat made me feel yucky, so David went off on his own to wander while I caught up on the blog earlier than usual. Oso joined him, carrying his coconut ball. David also had the chance to catch up with Wendy and discuss finances too. We owed a bit more for the breakfast converted to dinner, and an extra dinner by accident. She is so very thankful for our little business providing income for her family and we are very appreciative of all their love.

We tried to tell her to tell Franni not to bring any more beans or rice for dinner, that we still had leftovers, but that translated into “don’t do beans and rice,” so dinner was thin chicken fingers, a chimichanga of cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro, and lemonjuice, and boiled yucca, which seemed like boiled. potatoes, AND French fried potatoes as well. And sweet plantains of course. And fresh juice, of course. I only could eat about 1/3. Usually I get 2/3 eaten. Hate to waste anything so will leave the chimichanga in the fridge. This little family has become dear to us, even the many dogs. (Dorie tried to join me, as we keep front and back doors open to the air until dusk, but she left without argument – she obviously understands English.)

As we wrap up the blog for tonight the chichas are chirping in the netted windows. We will miss that sound.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb