San Jose to Portland - Airline Anarchy


Advertisement
Published: March 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

When we were arriving in Costa Rica we were told to show up a minimum of three hours before the scheduled flight... We were guessing that this was because of added Immigration and Customs that we'd have to go through. That being said, our flight was scheduled for 7:30 that morning so the alarm went off at 3:15!

The night before we'd done a pretty good job of gathering our things together and putting them away, so getting out of the room was pretty simple. We caught the first airport shuttle to the airport that left the Best Western at 4. After going through a maze of tiny roads and alleys the driver got to the freeway and dropped us off at the airport.

We were the first in line for the US Airways flight to Phoenix... The customs wasn't too bad, just the standard "take your shoes off" and "what are you bringing back from Costa Rica" questions... We then sat around for about two hours before they called our "zone" to board the airplane. It was one of those where they had a bunch of people board a bus and drive you out on the tarmac to get to the airplane.

Once we were onboard the flight was a little over 5 and half hours. We landed in Phoenix and had to go through US customs this time... same deal, sans the "duty free" shopping that wasn't available (in Costa Rica) that early in the morning... but who needs perfume and expensive gadgets anyhow... By this time we were both STARVING... Airplanes (for the most part) no longer serve food, so you're really left to fend for yourself when it comes to eating, unless you pay their high prices for a piece of fake cheese and some stale crackers. We immediately checked in the one bag we were using and, at a very brisk pace, power-walked to the terminal for the flight to Portland. Along the way we grabbed a scorpion lollipop for the kids and got a burrito from an airport restaurant.

From there the flight back to Portland was only about two hours and twenty minutes... We touched down to 55 degrees and the afternoon sun hanging barely in the air. We collected our bags and went home! A great trip to Costa Rica!



....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb