Tayra and hike to Mirador


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Puntarenas » Uvita
February 16th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 9.15232, -83.7565

After a very restful evening felt more like taking the hike all the way up to the Mirador. Last year we got the the Mirador during low tide and were able to see the complete Whale's Tail! This year the tide is not running in our favor but because we are starting out early, a great deal of it should be showing.

As we were walking down the road, heard a woodpecker but were never able to find it in the trees as well as the toucans calling in the distance. This year seems we are not going to see as many toucans as we have in years past.

Once we got to the bamboo forest, the road was pretty much in the shade and was cool and pleasant to walk as you were steadily climbing and climbing up the road. This is not a smooth and paved road but a dirt and rock road but thankfully we were not dusted down but maybe twice during the entire walk!

The bamboo forest is something to see. It is privately owned and am sure it was planted at some time in the past but is so beautiful to walk past. As the wind hits the upper reaches of the bamboo, the individual stalks begin to sway and set up some lovely melodies. As we were enjoying this, three chacalaca came gliding in to our view briefly before disappearing again into the forest.

Continue on our upward climb and the road does get steeper as you continue. On this road there is another waterfall that people go on guided hikes to rappel down from one waterfall to another until they reach the river. We missed the entrance down to the waterfall on our way to the Mirador. But, instead as we were walking toward the top, we got to see a white hawk glide past us over the side of the hill and out into the valley. A beautiful sight and another first for us!

Got to the Mirador and you could still see the end of the Whale's Tail and some and the long ridge but was fast disappearing. Robert walked a little further up and got a better view from a point just higher up. From there we headed back down to the creek we had carefully rock hopped across to take a break. Climbed down into the rocks and found a shady spot to have a snack and cool down.

Rested and cooled down, decided to try and find the way down to the waterfall. Robert had headed out and Laura was just finished crossing the creek and happened to look back and saw a head peeking out of the vegetation across the creek. First thought was a dog, but no did not really look like a dog, called to Robert who came down and got some pictures as we were checking out this new creature. Had the scope and camera both on the animal and could see red toenails, sleek body and a head that resembled a otter or even maybe cat of some sort. Got our mammal card out and decided it was either a tayra or jaguarundi.

We did not determine for sure what the animal was until we were back down and got some other people to weigh in on the sighting and it was determined it was a tayra. Was a very cool moment for us. The tayra or tolomuca is evidently kept as a pet by some people because it is quite the rat killer!

Found the path down to the waterfall after this and Robert decided to go and check it out. The path seemed too steep for Laura as she was tired and did not really want to go sliding!
As we headed back down, ran into a couple heading up to the waterfall, Josh and Elise. They are both wildlife biologist from the United States and we visited with them for awhile and then headed on down.

Both were tired after the walk and so decided to treat ourselves to dinner at El Tucan. Shared a plate of spaghetti and each had a salad and brought our own wine to the table. Christian, our very kind waiter brought us each a glass of ice to cool things down. Later had us try the dessert which was delicious. Josh and Elise came over the joined us and we had a very nice evening drinking wine and talking about some of their field work, travels and life in general.



Additional photos below
Photos: 108, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb