Sunday in Costa rica


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Sunday the 29th

We were awake VERY early – it’s 2 hours “behind” – and we were able to get in over an hour’s worth of birding before a lovely Costa Rican breakfast of “gallo pinto,” namely the spotted rooster: eggs, black beans mixed in rich, with a flour tortilla. And really good coffee.

The driver Gerardo picked us up at 9:30 and we bid goodbye to Villa San Ignacio for a 4+ hour drive s.w. to the Pacific Coast.

We learned that there are barely any roads except for single, and lots of hills, and scary driving, and yet we saw lots of bikers!!

We stopped at a super muddy river where crocodiles abound, Tarcoles River, got to visit el bano,

and bought some snacks. We are finding the various plantain snacks very tasty, esp the salt and lime. Some folks in the back seat were feeling less than chirpy with all the curves, but were brave.

The only snag was when we arrived in the local town to find out that the expedia-booked car was a big surprise to the rental car agency. Ooops. He called some other places nearby and Matt bravely said he was not paying more than arranged already. Good thing he speaks Spanish so fluently.

So, even with that delay, we dropped off our bags at the new place, but couldn’t get in, as it wasn’t quite ready.

so we found a very lovely restaurant and sat in the open air – every thing is – called the Beehive. We saw crested guans, the orange throated parakeet, and humming birds! It was a Mediterranean restaurant – funny! It rained finally, but only for a short time

Then we went grocery shopping – which is always very very interesting – baby bananas, the cheapness and size of the mangoes, papaya and pineapples ($1.20?).

Too late to take photos of the views here, but we did get photos of a Fiery-billed Aracari, and a Crested Guan, which makes 11 new birds today! View scenery photos tomorrow perhaps. It smells gorgeous – I think there are plumeria just under the deck!!

We are up the hill from the Whales Tail, also called Parque Bellena Nacionale, which is visible from the balcony of our new digs, a gorgeous place on the edge of the hill. In fact, one has to have a 4 wheel drive to get down the last 100 yds. it's kind of scary!

Every view is amazing, with an infinity pool to boot.

Off to early bed as we're leaving at 5:30 to go birding with a guide.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.407s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb