Arenal Volcano and Santa Elena


Advertisement
Published: November 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We headed north across the Arenal lake where we had the full spectacular view of the, very much still active, Arenal Volcano. The volcano erupted a couple of times while we were there and sounded like nothing more than thunder with some clouds of black smoke and rocks coming from the top but we were informed that quite often the lava will run red down the side. After trekking for 3 hours to get as close as we could to the volcano (still only one mile) we were disappointed not to see any red lava. However our local tour guide kindly offered us some (almost a litre) of the local cocktail containing the local spirit of Cicique. It tasted very much like vodka but sweeter as it was made from sugar cane. The guide informed us that it would 'ignite the lava inside of us' and that it may have done- if we could only remember.





We sampled the local hot springs which were naturally heated waters from the volcano and spent an evening lounging around the restaurant and bars they created around these pools at a resort.





We also trekked through the rainforest here and spotted some more monkeys, humming birds and the like.





Unfortunately this location was also the end of our wonderful trek around Costa Rica so it was time for a farewell BBQ with our new friends (our wonderful leader Lucille, Genevieve, Evelyn, Lana, Juliet, Gareth, Greg, Tara, Kayla, Sue, Louise, Brienne and Amanda) followed by a good old fashioned game of truth or dare before we arose the next morning 'fresh' for our 5 hr drive back to San Jose to part. Lots of lovely friends and great memories made here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb