no more happy turtles


Advertisement
Published: February 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It is SO HOT. I know I'm from Florida but I can't take this heat and humidity.

On my bus to Manuel Antonio I started talking to the woman next to me on the bus. She is German, my age, and owns a surf shop in Quepos, the town next to Manuel Antonio. When we got there it looked cute so I got off there instead, which was probably a good choice because Manuel Antonio doesn't really have a town just a street that goes over a mountain and to the beach. Quepos has at least 5 streets. I am staying at Pura Vida Hostel which is the beginning of the mountain. Yesterday afternoon I walked around with a British guy I met from the hostel. There is a nice fruit market Friday nights and Saturday mornings with great produce. Then we met a bunch of other guys from the hostel (one guy from Holland is paying for his his trip of an undetermined length by playing poker at casinos)and went to a club with live music. OF COURSE I danced. All they white guys were intimidated. The Latinos I danced with knew I have more to learn. It was weird dancing with guys, there seemed to be less of the "pack mentality" women have when going to a club. They seemed to think it was weird to all hang out together... I guess different motivations. No, I have no interest in any of them.

Today I woke up around 8:30 (went to bed about 3ish) walked to town and got a bus to Manuel Antonio. It's much more rich touristy there. Locals probably live in Quepos and work there. I was a little disappointed at first at the National Park because there were so many people, but my opinion changed by the time I left. After just arriving a group of White Faced Capuchins were right on the road. Some dumb girl opened her bag to get food- to give to the monkeys- but then walked away from the bag and a monkey stole all of it. I was taking pictures close to the tree line and the monkeys came closer to me. When the alpha saw me that close he came to the closest branch, bared his teeth and hissed at me. I should have taken the picture before jumping back but he scared me. One step back wasn't enough he wouldn't stop.

I saw:at least 3 types of monkey, 2 deer, 2 types of lizard (one type smallish one type big), many birds (including a woodpecker)and a couti.

I walked up to a beautiful lookout point, at the top platform 3 big lizards were hanging out close by. The big male was totally begging for food. (stupid people and their animal feeding)

I almost go peed on by a monkey. I didn't know any were above me until I heard something in the tree. I stepped to the side just in time.

The private beach in the National Park was so beautiful. The tree line ended at the multicolored sand which was bordered with volcanic rock. I put my foot in but didn't swim. The sun had already started getting to my skin. I sat on the rocks for over an hour.

After spending over a day on the coast I have decided that it is too damn hot. I have been contemplating La Tortuga Feliz. The Caribbean coast is supposed to be even more humid and this is bordering unbearable. I have to pay all 2 weeks up front so I wouldn't leave unless it was really horrible. I was excited until I got here. I like beaches, but not as much as forests, so why spend 2 weeks on the beach when I like forests more. Now I'm going to Monteverde for a few days instead. It's the first cloud forest I ever went to. It's the one that ignited my love. Now I get to see if it is still just a enchanting.




Advertisement



9th February 2010

beautiful
I guess all those years of me reading your papers has payed off. Your writting is charming. You just needed the right inspiration.
10th February 2010

This and That
I like reading your blog--your happiness is apparent in your words, as well as your dislike for humidity :) I'm jealous of all the animals you are seeing! My most exciting encounter was a black lab that appeared out of the darkness while I was parking out back! (Scared the crap outta me!) Went to the Snug with Nikki for my b-day--it was good. Have fun out there and please continue to tell us how you really feel :P
10th February 2010

PS
I agree--forests beat beaches

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb