Heading North


Advertisement
Published: August 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The last few days have been mostly travel days. Not sticking around anywhere for long. Making our way up to the Peninsula De Nicoya where we will be visiting Montezuma. Probably will be there a couple of days. We crossed the border into Costa Rica on Thursday with no problems but I thought it odd that we had to pay to leave Panama. Only $2 each but silly. Anyway, we traveled by bus up to San Isidro which made for a long day of travel. When we got in, it was pretty late and we were stuck trying to find a hostel in the dark. I keep telling myself that I need to get to my location in the daylight so it is not so hard to get around. There was another guy who was in the same position so we shared a taxi. Had to go to three places before we found a place, Hotel Astoria. They charged $26 for a double and it was really awful. I would never recommend the place, but it did have television for our viewing pleasure.
Friday we made our way to the bus station to keep heading north and found that the bus schedule had changed recently so instead of leaving at 1:30 pm we had to wait until 3:30 pm for out trip to Quepos. I was unhappy because once again we would be getting in after dark. What a surprise!! It was a hair-raising ride and ranks up there with one other bus ride I can remember. First we went through the mountains and the driver kept hitting the break and then letting go as we jetted down each hill. I thought we were going to get whiplash. Then once we were out of the mountains, the road was almost all rock and gravel. Extremely bumpy. Then we had several death defying bridges. Some of these bridges had the steal skeleton and them wood planks all the way across that are rarely secured. These scare the crap out of me. My knuckles were white from holding on for dear life. Happy that is over.
Macayla and I did find a hostel after the second try. Our first choice was full as usual so we were at Hotel Ceciliano. Only $8 each but not any better than the night before. Were afraid to sleep inside the covers so we ended up sleeping on top.
We were on another ´save the dogs´mission last night and this morning. Lots of very skinny dogs looking for food. We bought dog food and went around feeding any dog we could find. Crazy, but hard to do nothing. Macayla gets so worked up about it and constantly asks to bring them home.
Currently we are waiting for our bus to Puntarenas which is at 10:30 am. Another time change since we thought it was at 8am, so we are trying to kill some time. Then we will take a ferry to Paquera and then another bus to Montezuma.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHLOE & MATT!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb