it feels like a week...


Advertisement
Published: September 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

it has only been a few days since i last checked in, but it feels like a week has gone by! in a good way!

happy birthday to NAN and CALA. not everyone can be a virgo....poor souls! and cala & vic...congrats on your marriage. i wish i could have been there to share in the celebration. you are a sweet and inspiring couple and i wish you muchos años of love and happiness.

yesterday i arrived in beautiful montezuma. the beaches here are absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!! they vary so much....the texture of the beach changes from blackish sand, to shells, to rocks, to whitish sand. there are rocky headlands separating each beach....and the forest comes right up to the beach. yesterday i was exhausted from spending the night on the tile floor of the ferry station (more about this later) so it felt like a big dream to be here. i laid on the beach all afternoon and watched the crabs run around....there are hundreds of crabs (hermit crabs and standard crabs)....i have never seen anything like it. there were just thousands of scurrying creatures on the beach. very cool. i tried to take pictures but i´m not sure how well they captured the energy of these cool little guys.

so back to the ferry station story. montezuma is only about 60 miles from Ostional. but getting there took all day and night....the roads down the coast are impassable for buses so we had to go around a long way...off the nicoya peninsula, around and then back onto the peninsula. johan and i left Ostional around 10ish in the morning, headed to montezuma. we first had to hitch a ride to get to where we could find a bus. then we caught up with the bus and travelled for a few hours on one bus before switching to another. by the time we arrived in punta arenas, which is where you need to catch a ferry to get back to the nicoya peninsula, it was 8:30. so when we arrived at the ferry station on the nicoya peninsula, there were no buses or taxis to take us the 2 hours to montezuma. well actually there was one taxi. the driver knew we were stuck so he was trying to charge us a ridiculous amount of money but we had negotiated him down to $35, which i was happy with. so i went to the bathroom so i could start the journey on an empty bladder. but when i came back the taxi was gone. johan was trying to get him down to $30 and they had a bit of a disagreement and the taxi left. OUCH!!!! so we had no choice but to camp out in the ferry station until the first bus in the morning. but the guy working in the station was very sweet...he gave us cardboard boxes to put between our bodies and the hard floor. i also had johan´s sleeping bag....which i had no qualms about taking 😉 it was an interesting night. a ferry arrived at 4AM so the lights went on and people were bustling about....trucks were loading onto the ferry. needless to say, it was not the best nights sleep, but it did make the next nights sleep very sound!!!

today i am going to rent a horse and ride along the beach. pura vida!

SOME PS´s:

rachel....you dirty dog...just a friend....sorry to disappoint 😉 muah-muah!

mwai....i can´t believe it has been a year since my 30th bday party. it is true that a lot has occured over the year but it went SOOOO fast! hugs chica!

maureen....i agree...birthdays should be celebrated for the month!!!

nick...i´m sorry about your hair dude. but it will grow back really fast! remember when i cut all my hair off??? now it is so long again! and it didn´t take too much time for it to grow. and no matter what your hair looks like, you are still the handsomest brother on the planet! i will be home soon and i can´t wait to see you and my crazy sister....LOVE YOU GUYS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 60; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb