Costa Rica - Montezuma - Santa Teresa


Advertisement
Published: April 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I left Jaco after 2 weeks, with a couple of people who had been at the surf school or who worked for it ..First stop Montezuma....

We took a boat from just North of Jaco, for an hour across to Montezuma. It was little speed boat with about 6 of us travelling on it. I felt like I was back travelling for the first time since I left work 6 months ago! Great feeling and beautiful view of lush green mountains as we left the central pacific coastline to the southern nicoya peninsula. We stopped in Montezuma for just a night as there was no surf there and the boys were gagging to get back in the water. Montezuma was nice chilled out place .. beaches and a really laid back feel to it. We stayed at a little hostel right by the water, which was a bargain at $20 for a room with 3 beds ..and the sound of the water to send you to sleep .. lovely!

The following day we arranged for a 4WD taxi to take us to a place called Santa Teresa. It took about 40 minutes to get here .. its not far but the roads are quite bad .. you wouldn´t do it without a 4WD. We arrived at Santa Teresa to find a beautiful white sand beach which goes on for miles .. and with surf breaks right the way down .. perfect! The waves have been pretty small, which for all those that can surf are disappointed by, but for beginners like me are perfect! I´ve had 5 days surfing here which have been great .. been getting out back and catching some waves .. but having lots of wipeouts too .. all part of the fun!! It is soooooo nice going surfing at sunset ... this week there have been some great sunsets .. and it´s just a great feeling sitting out there on your board watching the sun drop into the sea. Also watching these birds that skim over the water .. sometimes you can´t see them as a wave comes in, and they reappear as it passes. They look a bit like pelicans. Also big schools of fish jumping out of the water .. and sometimes you can see them playing in the waves just before they break. Cool!

Santa Teresa is a great place .. very very chilled out .. just a long strip of beach with road that runs for about 6km, with various cabinas spead out along it. The only thing to do here is surf, so had lots of early nights .. and been up early for a surf. Been very well behaved ... so much in fact that it´s definitely time to move on to somewhere a little more lively for a couple of days! I´m hoping to get up to Playa Samara tomorrow, but I´m still waiting to see if there are enough people wanting to go for the transport to run.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb