El Trapiche (Traditional Sugar-Mill Tour)


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Oxcart Ride 12 secs
2: The Sugar Mill (el Trapiche) 20 secs
3: Making Candy 11 secs
On Thursday of last week, we spent the morning learning about how some of the traditional agricultural products of Costa Rica are grown and processed. The Trapiche tour showed not only the old-fashioned way of growing and processing sugar cane and other products, but some of the newer methods as well. The main focus was sugar, but we also learned about coffee, bananas, plantains, tilapia, pineapple, and a variety of other products. It was a hands-on experience -- some volunteers got to ride a traditional oxcart, and others got involved in making candy from the dark sugar syrup after it was squeezed from the sugar cane. After the tour, we were treated to a delicious buffet lunch made primarily from natural products grown in the area. All in all, it was a very interesting introduction to an extremely important part of Costa Rican culture.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Fresh Coffee BeansFresh Coffee Beans
Fresh Coffee Beans

This is what coffee beans look and smell like before they are roasted.
Roasting the CoffeeRoasting the Coffee
Roasting the Coffee

The tours don't usually include coffee roasting, but we happened to be there at the time when they needed to do some roasting.
Ready to EatReady to Eat
Ready to Eat

Candace is ready to eat the candy.
PatriciaPatricia
Patricia

Patricia is also ready to eat the candy she made.
Time OutTime Out
Time Out

The guide put Ryan in "time-out." Just kidding. They were just resting and waiting for the buffet line to get shorter.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb