Cacique


Advertisement
Published: March 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Prett wild last couple of weeks, I have been all over, up and down both coastlines and back, travelling with a few different people. My friend Megan came down, and we travelled all over, from the Carribean in Puerto Viejo, then up and down the Pacific coast. After the last entry in Quepos, her and I kicked it in Manuel Antonio for one more day. We hung out on the beach during the day, then rented a sea kayak and went way out to a few small rock islands near sunset, definitely one of the coolest views I have ever seen. After going out in Manuel Antonio that night, we got up early the next day and caught a bus back up to San Jose. It was nice to be back and get a hot shower and just chill for a night. I had been doing nothing in Drake Bay for so long, so much alone time, it was really nice to have someone else down here to hang out with. I think I probably drove her crazy by the end of it, but we had an awesome time, and it was cool to see her again. She flew out on Friday morning, then Drew flew in that afternoon. Saturday morning, Drew, Derek and I packed his Land Rover to the brim with supplies-food, beer, cacique, surfboard, the basics-then headed towards the port of Punta Caldera. We parked at the port then walked about 3 kilometers out on a completely deserted beach, where we camped out on the beach for the night and lit a huge bonfire. We cooked dinner on the campfire and rocked out with Drew's new ipod and speakers, good good times. We woke up with the sun early Sunday morning and had a few surf sessions before a few more people discovered our spot. We hiked back out and hitched a ride with Derek up to the horrible port of Puntarenas, where we were to get a ferry. We got to one of the peirs, and right as Derek was about to leave, realised that we were definitely in the wrong spot. It must have been the seventeen crackheads free basing right next to the police station that gave it away as a bad spot. We flagged Derek down and got the HELL out of there, luckily found the safe peir, and hoppen on a ferry to the Nicoya Peninsula. From the town of Paquera, we got a 3 hour bus ride, and became immediate celebrities with the locals. The bus had no stereo, so we sat in the back and cranked the ipod speakers. I never knew how much Costa Ricans love Bob Marley until then. By the time we got off, nearly the whole bus was either dancing, singing, or both. We chilled in Montezuma that night, got a dingy hotel room after dark, then woke up in paradise. Montezuma is a cool little town right on the beach, very small, just a few little beach bars and little hotels. We changed hotels on the second day and got an awesome place right on the beach. Chilled in hammocks and watched the sunset sipping an Imperial. Life doesn't get much better than that, in my opinion. We got a bus over to Mal Pais on Tuesday, and immediately fell in love with the town. By far the biggest and most consistent waves I have ever seen, not many tourists, and breathtaking sunsets. We went to open mic night last night, it was tons of fun, met all kinds of people from all over. This morning, we rented four wheelers and found some random old logging road up to the top of a mountain overlooking all of the coast. Can't believe we forgot the camera. We got a long bus and ferry back to the city tonight, and Drew flies out tomorrow. There is a huge festival this weekend in the city, Sting and Jamiroqui are headling it, should be a lot of fun. Moving to Mal Pais on monday, working at a surf shop on main street. Life is good...

Advertisement



31st March 2006

holy crap
can't wait to see some of this for myself!!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb