A Day at the Zoo and the Freaking Big Iguanas


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Puntarenas » Jaco
February 25th 2013
Published: February 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Francisco and his family were going to zoo and asked if we wanted to join them for the day yesterday, and we thought, why wouldn't we experience everything we can - so away we went. What a great day we had!

There were lots of very interesting birds, monkeys, and other animals native to the country but the hit for me was the iguanas who were SO big and in quite a few places. Of course I have seen iguanas before but still I like to keep my distance as a rule but with a lot of people around you tend to get a bit braver than usual.

When we were finished walking through the zoo there was an open park like area where you could sit on the grass, there was a gift shop and small take out place. The peacocks were so incredibly domesticated and provided the kids and us with entertainment for quite some time.

I will spare you the details of the zoo, but again, hopefully I will get my pictures loaded and posted.

The one real treat was, what happens here is that on Sundays they close the main highway between San Jose and Jaco San Jose, which is a two lane highway, one lane in each direction so that there are two lanes going back to San Jose. They do this between two o'clock and later in the evening - just because there is so much traffic going back into the city. So what we had to do was take the old highway, which is very winding and narrow and we got to have dinner at this small roadside restaurant - the only one in the hills which overlooked this incredibly beautiful valley. You could see the Pacific off quite aways in the distance and all of the different mountain ranges or heights...very nice indeed. I would NEVER want to drive this highway at night however because the drop offs of the pavement itself is steep and the road is just too narrow and winding to be caught up there after dark.

It was another beautiful day spent with Francisco and his family.

At the end of the day, there is nothing more refreshing than relaxing in your own pool, which is so warm and private that you feel like you are in your own little world. A nice glass of wine and swim was a nice ending to a perfect day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



28th February 2013

Zoo
Great pictures! I can't wait to see you and catch up on all you have experienced. Francisco and family are nice looking and what a delight to be part of their family and not having to drive on some of those treacherous roads!

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb