Surfing day at Dominical


Advertisement
Published: February 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Nikki's first wave... 15 secs
2: Another good wave! 19 secs
Yes, that’s right…the 7th best waves to surf in the world had Nikki’s name written all over them!

On Wednesday morning, we drove into the surf town of Dominical where we had arrangements made with Dominical Surf Adventures for Nikki to take surf lessons; Nikki was visibly excited as we approached the shop. Below is an excerpt from her journal about the experience:

“On Wednesday we woke up very early to go to surf lessons. When we got there we got checked in and went to the beach. The instroctor arrived with the surf board, his name is Ezekial. He showed me how to get up on the board. Then we went into the water with the board. We waited for the best wave, when it came I started to paddle. Then I got up and didn’t fall off! I went for fifteen minutes then we took a break. I played in the sand for a little bit. Then I was ready to go again. I fell off a couple times and stayed on a couple times. Then surf lessons were over.”

After a quick lesson on shore, which included how to paddle out, turn around, pick a good wave, get on top of the wave and finally how to ride the wave, she was gone. She rode the very first wave she took all the way into shore! How remarkable it was to see her with a smile from ear-to-ear as she passed each one of us on her way in : ). While we were all watching, photographing and videotaping her lesson, a Tico woman came down the beach towards Jeff and Mom and after asking if this was the little girls’ first time surfing, she went onto say “boy, she’s going to be a real good surfer.” By the time her lesson was done, Nikki felt a bit raw; her knees, tops of her feet and insides of her elbows had been filed by the top of her board. As much as she LOVED the experience, she was glad to be done. She quickly made mention of her excitement to ride again someday soon!



Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



20th February 2010

nikki
Way to go Nikki! I had tears in my eyes looking at the pictures! So proud of you and your surfing experience! You are going to have some pretty amazing stories to share with your class when you return to school! I love you
22nd February 2010

Nikki - AMAZING! I grew up in Florida and have never been able to get up on the board - I preferred boogie boarding and body surfing. I am actually jealous because you were able to do this so quickly! Keep it up!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb