Canoe trip --> Puerto Viejo (playing catch up!)


Advertisement
Published: October 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

My canoe trip went well...Rudy was a good guide. We paddled around the channels for 3 hours, a good workout! We say crocodiles, monkeys, and a sloth. Lots of birds, but I don't bother with them too much. I napped for a while and just hung out the rest of the day. Tried to do a night tour to see the turtles lay eggs, but that didn't quite pan out. No big deal, there is a place in Nicaragua where I can see that.

Got up the next morning and climbed in a boat for the third day straight and headed to Moin, where I would take a bus to Limon, then to Cahuita. Sounds exhausting...and it is. Well, by the time we got to Moin (3.5 hours) we decided to spring for a cab to Limon, and by the time we got to Limon, we decided to spring for a cab to Cahuita (Good choice).

Cahuita is a sleepy little rasta beach town. Upon arrival myself and a French New Gineau couple found out there was no where to stay and we carried our packs from place to place, sweating profusely. I was having trouble in that all the rooms were doubles (and I was a single) so I bumped into a girl from Colorado and asked if she wanted to split a double, she was relieved, and we found a nice cabina for the night.l In the morning however we had to vacate because it was booked for the following night. So we wander down to "Backpacker's Dreams" and get a room. It was $6 a night and was run by Jose, who was a crazy bastard. But the beaches were close and the room tolerable.

Spent a few days there, relaxing-except for the pushy rasta men who can't take a hint. Traveled to Puerto Viejo, another small beach town on the coast. The ocean is about 30 feet past the gates of the hostel, but the real beach is about a 10 minute walk down a jungle path. Having a good time, meeting good people. Swam out to a giant rock and jumped off it today with only a little hesitation, but really the walk back down the rock would have been worse than jumping off. Possibly heading for Panama tomorrow, but may spend one more lazy day here...no big hurry.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb