Samara - Sun Good, Stomach, Bad


Advertisement
Published: February 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Since you've last heard from us we've traveled to the other side of Costa Rica, changed hotels three times (all in one day) and sent the Brown-O-Meter well on its way.

We are in Samara and after having a few down days are back on our feet and raring to go. Well, maybe we're medium-raring to go, but getting there.

The rains of Cahuita, and possibly something else, twisted my stomach into some pretty intense knots that are still trying to untwist themselves.... on the bright side I've got my appetite back.

AND, as an added bonus, now that the abdominal pains have ceded I've welcomed a new sympton... let's just say a different Brown-O-Meter might be introduced. Enough about that, I don't want to go "blue" with the blog.

Back to Samara:

Samara


We arrived here on Sunday afternoon and our hotel had screwed up our reservation causing us to go elsewhere (always fun to strap a 30 pound backpack to your back when your front feels like exploding). The second place was fine (for a while) until Elise left me to explore and came back to find me in a sweaty heap, so we moved on to a place that offered air conditioning for the same price.... Hotel Marbella

A few notes on Hotel Marbella:


Samara Food


In a deviously ironic twist, the food in Samara has been amazing. Nearly every meal we've eaten here has been outstanding. From the El Dorado Italian Restaurant to El Lagarto the BBQ surf and turf place.... So while none of the food stays in the body too long, it is quite a thrill putting it in.

To the Elise people, you must find this all hilariously thrilling to hear ME complain about my stomach while she gallavants around town eating peanutbutter and bananas as if she were Elvis himself. Sweet bitter irony!

Notes from a Developing Country


that should bring you up to date to this point, hope all are well at home and that your stomachs are not hurting.

A few more days in Samara and then off to Manuel Antonio.

Brown-O-Meter
finally some time in the real sun brings some freckles and more to our travelers:
Elise = 3.5
Gregg = 5.5

Adios


Advertisement



1st February 2006

gregg stomach
Did you hear of imodium? Start with two and then take one. You must have caught a bug and stop eating so much. Only blttled water! And for sure no beans in your nose. Glad Elise and Elvis have something in common besides their singing. Enjoy and love to you both.
1st February 2006

It's ironic that Gregg is halfway to Wesley Snipes and Typhoid Mary all at the same time! I know his unique perspective as a past daycamp bus driver is giving him a greater understanding of the entire genre of state-of-the-art thirld world transportation as it were. I guess with the 5.5 reading on the brown-o-meter, he is kind of like Ralph Cramden (Cedric the Entertainer version)
2nd February 2006

Board meeting
Sounds like you guys are utilizing Jonathan Albertson's board meeting methods. Nice work. Do they have a Lou Malnati's down there?
3rd February 2006

big ass iguana
i've seen a few iguanas in my life, but never one with a large behind. you must post images!!
4th February 2006

tummy ache
hi! hope you are feeling much better, Eat carefully for a while--rice, ripe bananas,toast--no butter--no grease no vegis etc.Pepto is good too if you have it.we're in L.A. enjoying great clean american food and planning our next years of life. Good beds too! Love u guys.xoxo
7th April 2006

playa samara
i agree with you about restaurants in playa samara, my favourite is either casa paraiso or el lagarto: http://costa-rica.typepad.com/playa_samara/home/index.html

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0857s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb