Arrival!


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Guanacaste » Samara
November 20th 2008
Published: November 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Posted by John
Where do I start?! I apologize for the lack of photos as of yet... they will come.
-We flew to Costa Rica yesterday with a short stopover in San Salvador, El Salvador (say that three times fast).
-The goodbyes at the airport are always harder than you think they will be.
-Went through security and they said I was chosen for the naked scan. Wished I could have seen that one!!
-Megan got sick and started a two day headache on the plane from who knows what? She feels a lot better tonight. We are settling down in Samara, unpacking and finding a place for everything.
-Last night we arrived in San Jose around 8:30 PM with no incidents with immigration…whew! Although today we see that TSA did go through our bags at DFW. You would think they’d know how to repack a bag.
-We stayed at a great Hostel in Alajuela, near the airport last night (Maleku Hostel) Very clean, cheap, and accommodating. Don’t let anyone tell you that you don’t need to know at least some Spanish when traveling in Costa Rica. (Unless you are staying at the Holiday Inn and never venture farther than the Denny’s in the parking lot.
-We were both awakened last night by an earthquake! Yeah, read that again… an earthquake. It was like 2:30 or 3 in the morning and I woke up asking Megan why she was shaking the bed. As a testament to how tired we were, we just go back to sleep... an earthquake! Crazy.
-Hopped on the bus this morning around nine and after a five and a half hour white-knuckle ride through the many terrains of CR, we arrive at our home for the next month.
-The apartment that the school has found for us has no hot water… I would rather experience another earthquake… It is also pretty sparse with absolutely no storage or even hooks to hang stuff on. No big deal. We’ll figure it out. We’ll learn to take showers in the heat of the day and tomorrow we buy hooks.
-After settling down for a bit, we found a bite to eat and strolled through town. The stroll lasted only 30 minutes and we covered the entire town. Yup, that small. As it should be.
-All in all, I would say that we are off to a grand start and I mean that whole-heartedly and with all sincerity. We keep pinching ourselves, reminding each other that this is real. Here we go…


Advertisement



21st November 2008

Fun
Glad to hear the start of your trip is going good. An earthquake, pretty crazy. NO hot water, that would be tough. Well, too much other great stuuf to worry about HOT water have fun and good luck with everytrhing

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb