Playa Coco Day 3


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Playa Coco during the day.Playa Coco during the day.Playa Coco during the day.

I like it during the day. Too many lights at night.
Today up early to dive! We are super excited! Our first Pacific Ocean dive. Yippee! Last night the Howler Monkeys were hanging out by our room somewhere in the trees. We heard them howling all night. We didn't mind a bit. It's way cooler than bar noise or dogs barking keeping you up all night.

We bought some delicious baked ham & cheese donuts for snacks on the boat (if we need them, you never know how hungry you'll be between dives.) That's what we've named them because that's what they remind us of. Sounds odd but they're really tasty. Then we headed to the beach for a cheap breakfast. Gallo pinto & eggs of course. I think I went a little crazy on the hot sauce because it came back to haunt me in the dive. Serious heartburn.

We waited on the beach for our boat with a few others. They sent a little panga to the shore to pick us up & then carted us out to the dive boat anchored in the bay. Then off we went out into the ocean. The dive was incredible. Totally & entirely different than the Caribbean. The visibility is not
On the dive boat.On the dive boat.On the dive boat.

We just arrived from our beach pickup panga.
as great but the amount of fish makes up for it. To start the dive we all had to descend holding onto the bouy line which was a first for me. Geoff demonstrated in proper PADI form how to descend: hang onto line, head toward the bottom looking up toward the boat, pull yourself down. I was actually impressed & then totally copied him & pretended that was my plan the whole time. We saw a family of White Tipped Reef Sharks just hanging out on the sandy floor & a ton of different Eels & Pufferfish. We also saw some Scorpionfish (they have amazing camoflauge), Frogfish (also look just like the plant they sit on), and just big schools of pretty fish. There are tons of different varieties of Triggerfish & Angelfish in this ocean as well. It was really fun & we were sooo happy! It's like visiting a whole new world of fish that we've never been to before. We were like kids in a candy store. At one point we were following the dive master in pairs & I stopped to look at something with Geoff for a second, looked up, & we couldn't see where he had gone & there was another buddy team behind us. EEkk! But he quickly came back, scolded us, & found us. Whew. It's a little creepy how people & big fish can just disappear from your view underwater....

Our second dive had much better visibility. We didn't get lost from our DM once! Woohoo! We saw more great things. We saw our first Clown Shrimp which look like little cartoon characters. There are so many pufferfish. They are so cute too. It was a great dive & so incredible to see all the different fish in this ocean. We both had huge smiles the rest of the day. It is like a whole new experience in diving. I was a little nauseated again somehow. The sea was flat! What the heck. I think it may have to do with actually being in the water & looking at things upside down. Maybe I shouldn't eat so much food before I go on a dive?

Back on the dive boat & to the shore. It was a rather quiet group of people we dove with which is always different. Geoff & I are almost always super chatty & excited after diving & we love to talk about it & ask about what we saw. Usually most other divers we've encountered are also that way. The water entry/exit, from boat to shore, is something which I am growing very fond of (even though I busted open my big toe last night while walking home from Pollo Crispy & now have an oozing skin tear that bled alot last night, it is really dangerous to not watch where you are walking. For example: sidewalks end abruptly, most storm drains are not covered, there's always rock chunks on the sidewalk/streets, it's a hazardous trek for sure, anywhere & everywhere!). It's kind of nice to have a beach without piers. It looks nice.

Back at Savannah we showered, read briefly, & were at our same table at CocoNutz for happy hour & free wifi. Blog blog blog, email, facebook, etc. We shared our first crunchy shelled tacos in C.A. & they were really tasty. The Howler Monkeys came back through again. I would not sit underneath them no matter what. I really really didn't want to get peed on by a Howler. You can smell their pee before you see them when you're walking along a trail for example. Ick. The interesting thing tonight was that we got to witness Howler Monkeys mating (or do they have sex? I know Dolphins do it for fun, do monkeys?). Another National Geographic moment, but while sitting in a bar, that's a first for sure. After our (work) time in the bar we went back to Lucky Burguer for a burguer & tacos (really taquitos) after bar time.

After our burguer, which was pretty decent, we headed back to our room & slept soundly. We almost always get a good nights sleep after diving. I imagine the nonstop sweating & sun rays might have something to do with it as well. Sleeping in our king bed. We've decided we may not like king beds as much as we thought. We like to snuggle & they are not conducive to snuggling. There's just too much space.






Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

We just love the monkey.We just love the monkey.
We just love the monkey.

He made us smile every time we walked by.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb