Cartago, Costa Rica - a San Jose / Central Valley Day Trip Worth Taking


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Cartago
September 29th 2009
Published: September 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Whether you are visiting or live in Costa Rica, most people spend at least some time in the capital city of San Jose in the Central Valley area.

Many visit the San Jose downtown sites and are then looking for nearby places to visit for half or full-day trips. Most popularly mentioned ideas based on their relatively close geographic proximity to San Jose can still be several hours in travel time due to Costa Rica's terrain, roads and traffic. Examples: Poás Volcano is 1.5 hours away, Arenal Volcano is 4 hours away, La Paz Waterfall is 1.5 hours, etc., etc.

A closer and no less interesting destination is San Jose's neighboring city ... Cartago.

Cartago is the former capital of Costa Rica separated from San Jose by the small mountain range called "Cerros de la Carpintera" which runs from north to south dividing the Central Valley into two sections.

Cartago sits in the eastern section of the Central Valley referred to as the Eastern Valley or "Valle del Guarco" with its own weather and ecosystems influenced by the Caribbean coast weather (as opposed to San Jose's pacific coast weather influence). It can literally be a cloudy/rainy day in San Jose while just over the hill Cartago is having a beautiful day of sunshine.

La Municipalidad de Cartago is located in the Cartago Province at the base of the Irazú Volcano, 22 kilometers from the capital of San Jose. Cartago is only a 30 minute drive via the Pan American Highway during non-peak driving hours (1+ hours during weekday morning or afternoon rush hours). The city was granted a coat of arms by King Philip II of Spain in 1565 and the title of Muy Noble y Muy Leal ("Most Noble and Most Loyal") by the Spanish Parliament in 1814.

Cartago is a clean, well maintained hub of Costa Rica economic and social activity. Of particular interest to visitors are the Parroquia de Santiago Apóstol "ruins" and the Catholic Basílica de Nuestra Señora de Los Ángeles church.

Located across a historic cobble-stone street from Cartago's central park are the "ruins" of the former main church of Cartago; the "parroquia" of Santiago Apóstol Parish. Since the 16th century this site has been a temple, with all previous buildings destroyed by earthquakes.

The current "ruins" are not real ruins but an unfinished building where construction was started in 1870 but stopped in 1910 after the structure was badly damaged by a final earthquake.

Six blocks east of the "ruins" is the Catholic Basílica de Nuestra Señora de Los Ángeles church. The Básilica was originally built in 1639 and was partially destroyed by an earthquake. The basilica has since been restored and constitutes a unique mix of colonial architecture as well as 19th century Byzantine style.

The Básilica is the destination of an annual August pilgrimage and visitation by about 1.5 million believers throughout the country - many of whom join in the celebrated 22 kilometer walk to the basilica during the Romería. Some even complete their entire journey on their hands and knees as a demonstration of their piety.

Many Costarricenses commute daily between Cartago and San Jose via the frequent and inexpensive local bus service. A taxi ride might be around $30.00 each way (pre-negotiate for a better price).

If planning to see both the Irazu Volcano and Cartago, it is recommended that the volcano be visited early in the morning before the clouds roll-in. After visiting the volcano be sure to enjoy the sights of Cartago!

For more Cartago pictures, goto: Cartago, Costa Rica Online Picture Album


Interested in more information on Costa Rica?!

Costa Rica Blogger: www.CostaRicaBlogger.com
Costa Rica Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/CostaRicaPictures
Costa Rica Videos: http://youtube.com/CostaRicaBlogger

Follow us on:
Twitter: twitter.com/CostaRicaBlog
MySpace: myspace.com/CostaRicaBlogger
Facebook: facebook.com/CostaRicaBlogger


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

San Jose - Central Valley - Costa RicaSan Jose - Central Valley - Costa Rica
San Jose - Central Valley - Costa Rica

source: http://www.CostaRicaBlogger.com
Cartago, Costa Rica; satellite mapCartago, Costa Rica; satellite map
Cartago, Costa Rica; satellite map

source: http://www.CostaRicaBlogger.com


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb