British Virgin Islands


Advertisement
Published: April 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

British Virgin Island

Richard Branson owns an island here. We see it in the distance.
I had been warned that after a few days cruising one island would begin to look like another. So far this has not been true. Each one had their own individual characteristics.
Perhaps by the time we arrive at Tortola coupled with the speed at which we move from island to island and limited amount of time on each it is inevitable that one begins to blend into another.

This is a shame because they all have their own attractions and individuality depending on who colonized them.

We decide to do our own thing and set off to explore Tortola on foot.

For the first time we begin to feel like travellers instead of tourists and it is a welcome relief. We finally begin to get a feel for the tropical islands and the people who live here. And yes it is enchanting, just as I had always imagined it would be, and its worth all the hassle on board ship just to have the privilege of being part of these tropical islands even if only for a few hours.

We visit the famous Botanical tropical gardens and have lunch in a nearby local restaurant. We are the only white people there.

Locals are helpful pointing us all the time in the right direction when we get lost and often engaging us in long conversations.
There is no hassle, no begging, just friendly people.
I can see why Branson bought an island here.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb