Arrival


Advertisement
Published: September 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I arrived late last night on my home for the next 80 days of sailing - Ocean Star. It was a bit of a monumental journey via car, then three plane trips, a taxi, a ferry and last of all a small boat to arrive exhausted but happy to be at my final destination: the British Virgin Islands.

Boat living is somewhat more confined than living at home; I am in a cabin with one other staff member. The room itself is about 2.5m by 2m, consists of two bunks and a couple of small portholes out onto the deck. Storage space is at a premium with my clothes tucked away under my bed and my books and the like stuffed down one side of the mattress. But the slightly cramped living quarters are more than made up for by the view out the porthole in the morning - a lovely little bay on the island of St Peter, which is situated opposite Road Town the capital of Tortola.

The day started with a quick plunge into the ocean to wake up, followed by a freshwater rinse off on deck. The rest of the day has been spent orientating myself to the yacht, an 88ft steel hulled boat which built in 1992, but because of its more traditional fit out and rigging looks like it has a longer history.

The next few days are all about preparation before the students arrive to start their course. The 14 participants, like you are at school, but they live on the boat; they will spend the next 80 days learning to sail and studying oceanography and marine biology whilst gaining as much practical experience as possible.

I will keep you updated on their first few days and the beginning of the voyage around the BVIs.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 89; dbt: 0.0704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb