Environmental Education Art and FRUIT TREES!


Advertisement
Published: July 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

I went to Cacao a small Mexican village on the border of Belize this past weekend. I stayed with some friends i had met at Xamach Dos Resort. I got to meet their whole family. Mom, brothers, nephews, cousins, aunts, everyone, but really only like a third of the family probably since the family is huge! everyone seems to have about 10 kids and if not thats how many kids they want. they lived in wooden houses made out of poles not boards. dirt floors, sheeted off bathrooms, they had good well water though, and tons of fruit trees. they probably had about 10 different types of fruit trees, mangos, avacados, guayas, picadilla, craboo, beans, chaya, tons that i cant even nae cuz theya re new fruits, mame, what else... they were all very poor people, but they were rich in fruit! everyone was nice and friendly, tons of little kids running around, we played kickball and musical chairs. i ung out with the ol ladies in the morning and they showed me how to embroider thread into a shirt, i made a waterfall and a leafy plant to cover some stains on my favorite tank top!
now im in belize!!! staying 45 minutes in the jungle outside of san ignacio, where i stayed once in 1999 with the family. different experience now. livin on the top of a hill lookin out into jungle, stayin in a hammock with a mosi net. this guy daniel im stayin with is an artist, he makes documentarys, paintings, sculptures, there is tons of herbs and veggies and more fruit trees here. so im eating good, drinking rain water, cooking over a fire, made pizza in a dutch oven over the fire yesterday. great fresh food and teas, daniel also makes liquors with different flavores al natural. great jungle life. im working on a art piece for his nature trail. its going to show forest biodiversity and then the effects of deforestation and re growth of forest, im gonna write a little blurb about it too so kids and others can learn and read from the art too! there are tons of herbs and medicianl plants in the jungle here and im learning about the with a book he has. havent seen too many birds but i did see one when i was walkin a really nice one and thats where i decided to put up my art piece, which i have a few more days of working on it before its done. im gonna spend the day walkin around town san ignacio, maybe go to a waterfall if it clears up in the afternoon, and maybe make a sun dial tomoro at dannys place! gettin some def creative energy here in this area, seems to be tons of artists all around doin their things!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb