Our last blog before we hit Honduras !!!


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Relaxed... is an understatement after being submerged into the 'go slow' jamaican atmosphere in Caye Caulker.. ! We spent most of our days in a hammock or searching for one whilst enjoying the local rum!!! Caye caulker was a tiny island that we could walk around easily in about an hour. There were no cars allowed on the island so it consisted of walkers and golf carts! We actually stayed by the local school so everyday we saw the children in their pretty school uniforms head to school, they actually get a break at noon for an hour to go home for lunch which i thought was quite lucky! Everyone was very relaxed and welcoming on Caye Caulker, we met a few couples, one canadian, 2 english couples and our neighbours Nick and Morgan who we met in Tulum. After waiting out the rain for a couple days it finally got sunny again so we could go snorkel the 2nd largest Barrier Reef !!!! It was amazinggg 😊 We did 3 stops.. the 1st stop as soon as we got there sting rays (massive ones!) and sharks surrounded our boat, our guide very relaxed just said 'oh yeah there fine as long as you dont jump in and scare them they wont bite mon'.... well after that we were a little bit hesitant but eventually slipped in off the boat and actually swam with sting rays and sharks!!!! we could touch them, hold them, it was an amazing experience. The 2nd stop we went to the deep water Coral, we had a guided tour around the coral and saw some amazing corals and fish of all colours, shapes and sizes! We even saw a massive eel which was quite intimidating because he was very aggressive. 3rd stop was where we were in shallow water and could snorkel at our own pace wherever we pleased. Me and steve after gathering up some confidence decided to hunt down the sharks!!!!! The tour took about 3 hours and we worked up a pretty big appettite so decided to treat ourselves to some yummy dinner! Barracuda, previously encountered on the barrier reef!

The following day it was time to leave Caye Caulker, seeing as we had now been there a week! We decided to head south down to a small little village called Hopkins. The village was very cultural with very limited access, only 2 buses a day and the road ... well what road? was very non-existant. We really felt like we were in the thick of belizean society as we road on the what we assume was the local school bus to get to Hopkins. We arrived and decided to stay at Lebhah Drumming Center. It was a Garifuna drumming school for the locals to get lessons etc. As we had read about it i was expecting it to be a building (like at home) with rooms and quite built up but when we arrived it was on the beach just under a tiki hut! We were the only non locals there so we got the full on experience. We watched them play Garifuna style drumming all night and stayed in the communal area surrounding. We cooked our lunch on a fire with them and learnt about the diffrent stages and uses a coconut has whilst trying them all! Bikes were provided which meant we could really explore the whole of the village and try some good local food! 1pd burritos!!!!!! We ended up staying 2 nights and woke up this morning at 6am to catch the bus south. We bumbled our way down to Placencia catching buses and boats all the way here! We have now arrived here in Placencia which is more a town for American holidayers...... but its nice as it will be our last stop before we dont understand what anyone is saying...!!!! Looking forward to a game of pool on the beach and some yummy Lobster tonight and then its off on a 5 hour boat ride to Puerto Cortes, Honduras. Hola Amigos!!!!!!

Wish us luck!

xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



22nd June 2012

yr blog
Love it. Keep them coming. You are both obviously enjoying life and we enjoy following you. Life at Mylor continues on its unrufffled way.Too quite really. (and too cold and too much wind/rain. you are in the best place) Lots of love. Gdl
22nd June 2012

wow !!
love your blog, love your photos ... sounds amazing. Keep them coming :) Wonderful to hear you're having such a fabulous time. Love you and hugs to you both xxxxxx
25th June 2012

looks amazing! how's your spanish? lots of lovexx missing you loads

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.047s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb