Days 9-11, San Ignacio


Advertisement
Published: September 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Two nights on Caye Caulker was more than enough, especially with the heat during the day being crazy, so we headed to San Ignacio, in the western border of Belize.

Catching the chicken bus was an experience, but the journey only took 3 hours and arrived to a much cooler temperature (turns out the weather has just taken a turn everywhere, but we definitely took a shine to the place on this account).

The hostel in San Ignacio - Bella's Backpackers - was really lovely, and we spent our first full day with the owner and her daughter on their farm just outside the town, and at the falls in Cristo Rey - called Monkey Tree Falls. We spent the evening back in town, on the eve of Belize's Independence, which culminated in a half hour long firework display.

Then we spent a full day inside the Actun Tunichil Muknal, a mountain where the Mayan people used to leave offerings and sacrifices to the gods. Our guide took us to the cave entrance where we had to swim across a deep pool, and then climb, swim, squeeze and trek our way deep into the cave. Not only were there beautiful stalactites and formations on the walls, but Mayan offerings through different generations, because of droughts - the worse the drought, the deeper into the cave. To preserve the cave and artifacts, you aren't allowed to take cameras in anymore, but the tour guide has sent some photos I will be able to show you when I'm home!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb