Xunantunich


Advertisement
Published: January 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Xunantunich (The Stone Woman) houses what is said to be the second highest structure in Belize. The 2000 year old El Castillo, as the main structure is referred to, is 140 feet tall on top of a hill. El Castillo was a shrine built in honor of the mesoamerican christ figure Kukulkan. This ancient deity has roots in all indigenous mesoamerican cultures, and is commonly reffered to by his Toltec name "Quetzalcoatl". Getting there is a bit of an adventure in itself as you have to cross the river using a hand-cranked ferry, and then walk a mile uphill. The view from the top is totally worth it, with a sweeping panoramic view of the Belizean and Guatamalan hillsides. The two men on top of the temple holding m16's were actually quite approachable. Although it was pouring when we first got there, as soon as we reached the top we were greeted by a rainbow that was spreading across most of the valley.

No one person could have lived to witness the entire construction of El Castillo, as the pyramid was completed in seperate layers. The most striking layer of the temple is the one containing the friezes which run along the east and west walls. The friezes contain Mayan heiroglyphic writing, which is thought to tell a story (although I have no idea as to what that could have been)


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

A View From The TopA View From The Top
A View From The Top

Looking North


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb