Belize Border crossing


Advertisement
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

For border crossings this was the easiest and quickest we have ever been through, no messing about. I think it has something to do with the Belizean easygoing attitude and way of life. It’s like no problem come in! Belize used to be a part of the famous British Empire and explains why it’s the only speaking country in Central America. I love the story of how it came into our hands! Guatemala and Britain signed a treaty giving Britain the rights to the land provided that we built them a road direct from Guatemala City to Belize City. Just like us conning Brits we took the land but did not build the road and haven’t since! Dell boy would be proud!! Belize came independent from Britain in 1981 and since then Guatemala have demanded the land back and even threatened to invade, but lucky for Belize we still have an army based here for Jungle warfare training so this puts the Guatemalans off! I can see this being tested in the next few decades as Belize is coming a very popular tourist destination and making a lot of money!

It took us both about the first 5 days to get used to speaking English to others again as we automatically replied or asked for things in Spanish. I was well chuffed with this as didn’t think I knew as much as I did and my brain must be finally getting used to how it all works!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1124s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb