San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize


Advertisement
Published: January 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Belize is unique in itself, but the small islands that make up this Central America country are simply “UN-belizable”. The island of Ambergris Caye is soaked in Belizean culture. Ambergris Caye is the largest of the Belizean islands at 25 miles long and only 1 mile wide.

Belize is a short flight from Atlanta, at two and a half hours. The weather is always a warm 80 degrees with very comfortable nights. The people of Belize are friendly and of many different ethnic backgrounds. Iguanas scamper free and are plentiful, dashing across the resort property, climbing trees or scaling a deck post.

Ambergris Caye is an untouched gem. There are no big businesses or major hotel chains, only tiny shops and stores that line the narrow streets that are filled with golf cart traffic. There are some automobiles, but golf carts are the major mode of transportation on this small island. The island is surrounded by white sand and tall swaying palm trees.

To get to Ambergris Caye it is a 30 minute taxi ride to Belize City. Once in Belize City you have to take a Water Taxi to Ambergris Caye. The water taxi is a 1 hour and 30 minute ride with a few pickups and drop offs along the way at several different islands. The stops don’t take long; just long enough for a little Belizean man to jump on board to sell a bag of Plantains chips or chicharones.

Since Belize is home to the second largest barrier reef in the world, it makes this a diver’s paradise. There are also great snorkeling spots were you can swim with sharks, stingrays and hundreds of multi-colored fish of all shapes and sizes.

If you want adventure or just to relax, Ambergris Caye, Belize is the place to explore!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb