There's something swimming under our boat again!


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Saved: September 15th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Snorkelling BeachSnorkelling BeachSnorkelling Beach

From the beach, you can snorkel right to the barrier reef (where the waves are breaking in the photo).
The wind was in the wrong direction to sail here from North Long Cocoa Cay, so we motored here yesterday. The breeze was nice, and for the first time in several days, we're not uncomfortably hot and sticky. We saw dolphins on the way, and got here mid to late afternoon.

South Water Cay is inhabited--it has three or four resorts separated by fences. Five of us went to the island to explore a bit, arrange for dinner, and have some cold beverages at the bar.

Our first stop was the dive shop, so the divers could make arrangements to dive in the morning. Then we tried to get in for dinner at one restaurant, but they said they couldn't be bothered making dinner for us. So we went to IZE (International Zoological Expeditions), where we were warmly greeted, and told that if we were OK with having fish for dinner, they could fit us in. That suited us just fine, so we sat down at the bar, where there was a group of fisherman also from Calgary. What was more surprising to us than meeting a bunch of people from the same city as us was that none
FrangipaniFrangipaniFrangipani

Also known as Plumeria or West Indian Jasmine (I think)
of them work in Oil & Gas (which all of us are).

As the sun got lower in the sky, we took our beers down to the beach to watch the sunset. First we were treated to a view of an osprey eating a fresh fish in a tree branch hanging over the beach. Sunset was fantastic and pink, and then it was time for a wonderful meal.

When we got back to the boat, someone noticed something swimming in the water. When we shone a light down, orange eyes shone back through the dark, so we assumed it was another shark.

This morning, before the four divers left for their dive, we saw a remora swimming around the boat, and some trumpetfish, and a school of tiny silver fish we couldn't identify. The remora stuck with us all morning. After the divers left, the rest of us relaxed with coffee and breakfast, and watched some dolphins that were hanging out in the area. Eventually, we all made our way to the beach in the kayaks, where we sat around, either in the water or in hammocks, relaxing until it was time to head back to the boat and get ready to head out again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

Tatooine?Tatooine?
Tatooine?

No, concrete cabanas, to keep the heat out.
RemoraRemora
Remora

This remora spent the morning hanging around our boat.


Comments only available on published blogs

7th May 2008

Great Photos
Great Photos! Nice job. Watch out for them sharks.
8th May 2008

Awesome!!
I love your pics. What kind of camera do you have? I went to Belize in 1997, gosh have cameras changed. I'm looking at retiring down there. I enoyed your blog too! Thanks for the great memories!
8th May 2008

My Camera
I have a Canon 30D, which replaced my beloved 20D when it died last year (three weeks before I was due to leave for Europe). I also have an Olympus 720SW that I use for underwater photos (haven't posted any from Belize yet, but they're coming). I'm glad you've enjoyed my blog and photos!
30th July 2013

Frangipani
Dear Madam, I refer to your lovely photo of Frangipani.Yes here in India there are several varieties of them.However they are called as 'Champak' in Hindi our national language. Please do not take this as offence.

Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 38; qc: 147; dbt: 0.0836s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb