Flores Guatemala to Caye Caulker Belize


Advertisement
Published: May 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

This is how we got from Flores Guatemala to Caye Caulker Belize.



1. We booked our bus to Belize City through Hostel Los Amigos in Flores for Q100. The bus picked us up at 5am, drove around picking a few more people up from different places and left the island at 5:25am.

2. We arrived at the border at 7:20am. Just before the border a cambio man got on the bus to change money claiming that at the border there was a worse rate, however the other changers at the border when you got off the bus offered the same rate.

3. The bus stopped with Guatemalan immigration on the right. No questions asked and no forms required. It cost B$5 or Q20 to get a stamp. When we were leaving we answered a tourism questionnaire.

4. Next we walked through the passage way to Belize - obey the signs for pedestrians unlike Gearoid who started to walk through the vehicle path and nearly got covered with a chemical spray.

5. Ahead is Belizian migration. They asked how long we were staying, where we were going and where we were staying. There was no charge and we got a 29 day stamp. There is a tourism guy working there as well and when he heard we were heading to Caye Caulker he gave us a post it with the name of some cheap hotels and their phone numbers.

6. Going through customs they asked if we had any fruit/veg, alcohol or cigarettes and then we were in Belize. We got back on the bus and a guy who worked for San Pedro Water Taxi came on. He gave the people going to Caye Caulker vouchers for his ferry company for B$16 return and told us where to find his office as the bus drops us off at a rival company. He also had a few maps of Belize that he gave out.

7. We left the border at 7:55am and arrived in Belize City at 10:15am. There was a boat to Caye Caulker leaving from both ferry companies, Caye Caulker and San Pedro Water Taxi, at 10:30am. We were dropped off outside the Caye Caulker Water Taxi terminal however we wanted to get the San Pedro Taxi as it was cheaper especially with our voucher. The guy at the border had told us it was only a couple of minutes away so we grabbed out backpacks and set off.

8. When you get off the bus and are facing the water walk left for a few minutes to the San Pedro Water Taxi office. As you enter the port drop your bags on the right, get your luggage tags and walk past the shops to buy a ticket at the end on the right. B$16 for an open return within 3 months.

9. We boarded the boat just before 10:30am and left promptly.

10. The boat arrived after about an hour in Caye Caulker at the dock off Front Street on the East side of the island. All accommodation is within walking distance of the port.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb