Roatan/Belize - Abergris Caye


Advertisement
Published: June 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

After the 45min boat ride and a short taxi, we make it to our unbelievable lodging at Xanadu Resort, where we will be spending 4 nights. Two neighboring 2bd suites with full kitchens, plus free use of bicycles, paddle boards, and kayaks. As per the usual, we don't waste any time. We throw down our welcome cocktails, unpack a little bit, and take the kayaks out about 1/2 mile to the reefs edge. The same reef system goes all the way from Belize down to where we started this adventure down in Roatan, Honduras. Amazing how different it is though, some recent rains have made the waters a bit cloudy but not bad, and the water is much more salty. Still, terrific snorkeling, more invasive lion fish and some sting rays. We head back in for some cocktails and R&R at the pool before heading out for a nice dinner, recommended by the receptionist.

Day 2 is pretty cloudy but not awful. After some breakfast and a couple morning cocktails, we take the free bicycles out for a spin to explore San Pedro. We stop at a few ocean front watering holes and head back home. Today is much more relaxing, hanging by the pool and have a few brews, but not too many as we booked another two dives through the hotel. Diving in Belize is not quite as good as Roatan, but still spectacular, and once again so happy we got certified. This time Mel and her Brother join us, but again Mel panics and has to head back to shore. Highlights this time definitely include petting the nurse shocks (more like big catfish), and once again swimming through terrific reef structures. I must say, what a blessing to be able to dive without a wet-suit on, as compared to the 4.3mm suits we had to wear in CA.

Meanwhile, in typical Steve fashion, as we were off diving Steve made friends with the local grounds keepers and some local fishermen. He negotiated a deal for the fisherman to take us out on his boat to go snorkeling in a few other places and try to see manatees. We cook up a delicious meal in the comfort of our own room and enjoy a relaxing evening. The next day, the weather holds out for us and we head out on the boat. Unfortunately, no manatees, but some more good snorkeling and the fisherman's 1st mate speared a number of fish and lobster for lunch. On the way back, the guide takes us behind the island through some canals and mangroves and pulls ashore a private beach, where he proceeds to prep, marinate, and grill some food for us. Delightful! Definitely a terrific way to wrap up another amazing trip, with a private boat tour. The next morning, we part ways, take an early puddle jumper to Belize City and catch our flight home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb