Barbados


Advertisement
Barbados' flag
Central America Caribbean » Barbados
January 9th 2004
Published: June 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Barbados
Capitol City is Bridgetown

Weather bright and warm. Another early breakfast so we can be ready for our tour. We board another enclosed bus for our trip. First stop is the Harrison’s Caves. Riding an electric tram, we descend into the darkness of the mountain. Rounding the corner, we see the first of many dramatic sights. Stalagmites and stalactites of all sizes are everywhere highlighted with light. The air is very damp with water dripping from the roof of the cave. We pass underground running streams and waterfalls. After following the cave for about a mile, we climb upward and return to the surface. It was very spectacular. Our next stop is known as Gun Hill Signal Station. It is a restored military outpost at the top of the tallest hill in the area. It was used as one of many signal stations to relay messages to Bridgetown concerning slave uprisings. It was also used to alert the town when sailing ships were sighted. Near the station is a large Royal British Lion carved out of mountain rock. It was carved by one of the soldiers stationed at the station.

Leaving Gun Hill we drove through sugar cane fields to our last stop Orchid World. We were amazed to see orchid plants hanging from wires with their roots exposed to the air. The air is so moist that certain varieties do not need to be planted in the ground. Many colors and varieties are on display including some varieties that require potting.





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb