Club Med 2, back on the gorgeous 5 masts sailing ship!


Advertisement
Published: February 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post

First stop, back to Miami airport. We are taking the Air France flight the long way to Guadeloupe! First, breakfast time for the 2 hours direct flight to Port-au-Prince in Haiti. As of today, which is 2 weeks after our flight, Haiti is the only country in the Caribbean where I haven't set foot. Sadly for us, no way to get out of the plane here. This is not a tourist world, we are landing in a country that has suffered a lot over the past years...they were poor before the earthquake, and things have not improved a lot. So on the plane, lots of locals, and some NGO workers.



Our next leg, the brunch one will bring us to Pointe-a-Pitre in Guadeloupe. Second time here...not really the most friendly locals in the region....sad to say, but tourism has been suffering a lot from local strikes here. Even the Accor group did give up years ago! But, they have a lot of direct flights from Paris and a proper port, so this is the ideal starting point for any European cruise company....and cruise ships they have in quantity here.



We reach the Club Med 2 by 3pm, for a sail to Antigua later on in the evening. It's not the first blog for me about this cruise ship....one of the biggest 5 masts in the world. I did it on my own just three years ago, and I had a blast of a time here!



So this time, a way more romantic outing as Tanya is with me! It is also a special "golf cruise"...they have 35 golfers on board and we are going to play 4 different golf courses over 4 islands! The cruise is 8 nights, 9 days long. Don't worry, I do not plan on writing 9 blogs....but there will still be few of them!



Pictures of the cruise ship will come in each blog. Our first sail was to English Harbour in Antigua. On my last blog...we sailed to here too. That time, it was raining here, I took the local bus to the little capital of St Johns. This time, it's beach time for Tanya, and golf time for me. I'm playing the local course of Cedar Valley. Truly fun design and greens that suffered a little too much. I shoot a reasonable 83 on a course that was truly punishing, but truly fun too.



Sunny day it was, so back from the golf, it was beach time with Tanya! The little port of English Harbour has also something special to offer. I've never seen that many mega-yachts in a single place in the Caribbean...truly fun experience to ride the beacher through those jewels!



We would only stay here from 8am till 5pm...so not a lot to write about the place either. One thing for sure, Tanya is enjoying her first cruise experience. The ship can take some 400 guests, and we are only just above 300. Interesting point to note, Tanya is also the only none french speaking guest on this cruise. We ended up being good friends with a nice Mongolian couple living in Geneva....because I can confirm, the 40 to 65 years old french...do speak only french!



Next stop...St Kitts....and more golf!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb