Antigua....and some rain...


Advertisement
Published: December 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Well, let put it simply....when the clouds are grey, when the rain is pouring, even for few hours per day...gorgeous places do look a little less gorgeous...I know about this pretty well having lived since 1996 in Asia. So today, the sky is grey, we had some serious rain, it's just one of these days. They have to happen, for our planet to remain green..and for the tourists we are, it's just a different day...



Here we are in Antigua, another new country on my little list. The big cruise ships berth right into St Johns, the capital. The Club Med 2 is mooring at English Dock, South East of the island. I thought these yachts were cool yesterday in St Barths. Well, you've seen nothing. I had never seen so many huge and gorgeous toys in a single place, this is pretty insane. Beside this, there is not a lot to see in English Dock.



I checked for the diving, but with the weather forecast, no thanks, no diving today. On top of that when it comes to diving, it seems you see while diving in Antigua...a lot of sand! So we took the "beacher" with Thierry with the idea of just strolling English Dock. Well, once we arrived, fast change of plan, and we are now on the local minibus to St Johns. The capital of Antigua is a 30 minutes ride, 3 usd return fare. We hoped to beat the rain, but it didn't really worked. It was actually the best way to meet some locals...and to enjoy the ladies singing in the minibus...nice...and fun!



They had two huge cruise ships in St Johns...the place looks like a zoo with all those people....really a different crowd than what we experienced on the Club Med 2. So we walked the little town for a while before being beaten by the rain again. It was time to hide....for a beer...and soon we would be back in the comfort of the Club Med 2, still with a pretty grey sky. St johns, or Antigua for the fact will not remain for me the favorite place we visited this week. Some place have to finish last on any list...and I guest this is a good last one...People were very nice, that's for sure...and for that I will remember Antigua!



Tonight it's the "gala" night. Sadly I have to admit, people have no more idea on how to dress properly, that pretty sad, but it's a reality. This even hold for the French who seems to have an high attitude when it comes to dressing up. Well, they failed on this cruise, that's a fact! It didn't stop me to get my black tie out...not that I can wear it that much while on the road the last few months. It is also our last dinner with a great group of friends, and yes, we were actually one of the only table to dress properly...seems I had been lucky to bump on the right people straight on from the first night if this cruise. So the champagne didn't stop either for our last evening, another great one!



Tomorrow is the last little stop. It will be also the last little entry of this crazy week...full of fun....


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



28th December 2014
St Johns fish market

Antigua
We've been to many Caribbean islands but have not made it to Antigua yet. We'll get there. So many islands and so little time.
28th December 2014

I must say that dragging a tux around the world for a couple months...
just to wear it for one gala at the end of your cruise, takes some advance planning and dedication to proper dress etiquette!
29th December 2014

And diving gears!
Hi Bob, I was lucky, that was only two weeks on the road...but I have to admit, when you top-it up with diving gears, it becomes more interesting...

Tot: 0.925s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 38; qc: 134; dbt: 0.5581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb