Exploring one of the Oldest Highways in Nepal- The Tribhuvan Highway


Advertisement
Asia
June 21st 2012
Published: June 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

It has always been an adventurous journey to travel along one of the oldest highways of Nepal - the Tribhuvan Highway - total length- 133 kms. One travels through a quiet, peaceful hilltop setting, via Tistung and Palung, famous for its vegetable cultivation. I love to be in Daman which has probably the finest view of the Himalayas, from Dhaulagiri in the west to Everest in the east. As we reach Simbhanjyang (2488m high), we could feel the cold weather outside. The place would remain enveloped by fog for most of the time as it is the highest point of Makwanpur District and the second highest point of Mahabharat range. So, evertime we pass by, we make it a point that we take a short break here and have a cup of tea at a local shop along the highway. And, as usual, as we drink tea, misty cold breeze rinse our face, and I couldn't help but envy the people living here, as they are the lucky ones who experience this fantastic weather for most of the time in a year.

This highway connects the outskirts of Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal, with Birganj/ Raxaul on the Nepal-India border. Its construction was completed in 1956 and proviced the first serviceable road connection with India. Before Tribhuvan Highway was built, old travelers used the historic trade route passing through Kulekhani, Chitlang, Chandragiri Pass and Thankot.

I have included as much pictures as possible. Thanks!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb