In Kathmando


Advertisement
Asia
March 17th 2012
Published: March 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Trekking supply storeTrekking supply storeTrekking supply store

Anette buying a day pack at a tiny but remarkably stocked store
We arrived in Kathmandu and went through customs, got our visas, collected our luggage and went out the door. Kalu (our guide) met us as promised. He had a car and driver waiting. Things went remarkably well. The drive through Kathmandu was very much like India except we only saw two cows (read horn blaring, potholes, narrow roads and crazy motorcyclists) We got to our hotel after a long detour because of a festival. The hotel is very simple but probably better than what we will stay in on the trek.

Mar 17

Kalu our guide met us at breakfast. He took us to his friend's shop to buy gear. We bought a few things like a day pack, hats etc. We had to go to the ATM to get money (we had given all our cash to Kalu for the trek). The machine gave me the max $35000 rupi. The biggest bill is $1000 so it was a large wad.... $1 Canadian is 80 rupies. Kalu left and we walked Thamal (tourist area of Kathmandu).

Prior to dinner we meet with Kalu and our porter Atam to go over the details. They left us a large backpack
CafeCafeCafe

A garden cafe where we stopped forr lunch and beers
for both of our gear. Sure wish we had someone like Atam for last years West Coast Trail trek! They purchased our bus tickets and trek permits. They will be meeting us at 6 AM and then taking a taxi to the 7AM bus. 8hours on a local bus up into the mountains...can't wait.

This might be the last post for a couple weeks as we doubt there is much wifi along the trek.

Advertisement



22nd March 2012

Katmandhu
Glad you made it over safely. Hope you have an exciting and safe trek. We'll expect an update when you are back in Katmandhu. Steve and Caroline
22nd March 2012

Great Updates!
Thanks for the updates Anette and Ken. Must be exciting to be starting such a life changing journey (up till now, it's been like one of your typical trips, now the fun starts...). Take care and update us when you can.
27th March 2012

What an adventure
Wow! It sounds like you've already had quite an adventure. What a fantastic experience. Have fun and stay safe. Jenn

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb