Jungle Hike


Advertisement
Asia
February 17th 2011
Published: February 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It is hard to believe that two gals that can hardly figure out how to operate the light switches can follow a map up into the junble and return again but we did it. We went into the jungle and had a 3 hour hike. We went from our hotel with armed with a pretty primitive map. No street signs so we were flying by the seat of our pants. The hike was quite beautiful and our destination was Tenganan - the first balinese village over 1,000 years old. The land that this village owns is owned communally according to Balinese tradition. We had to pay a donation to enter and then we were given a "guide"... aka "salesman"... His name was Gede - and he led us through the village sharing the history and traditions - it was all very interesting - we have heard much of the story or similar before but you always pick up something new. Turns out Gede is a carver and we ended up buying 2 "lontar" crafted bookmarks at $7.50 each. The process is you take the palm leaf and dry it for one week and then cut it into the appropriate lengths; then you boil it, pres it for 10 days, craft it using a sharp knife and then outline it using burnt peanut with very little coconut oil. This art is unique to this village. The village name means "in the middle" in sanskrit. So Gede did have an ulterior motive for chauffring us around - he made a sale - however small. We saw some wild potatoes, sugar cane and of course the villages owned many roosters. These are used most often out of the village but also for the temple where they fight and then the blood is spread for offerings.... great huh.
Walking back Joan and I stumbled upon a German restaurant. We had a well deserved salad and bingtang - beer and then more walking to get home.
Joan had a reflexology treatment and I had a much needed manicure. Tonight we are updating our blogs and then will go out for dinner.
Hope you have enjoyed our day as much as we did.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb