Tucson area and Green Valley


Advertisement
Asia
March 19th 2005
Published: March 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Tucson Symphony Box OfficeTucson Symphony Box OfficeTucson Symphony Box Office

Jim is to the left
We have been exploring Tucson, Green Valley and the desert this week, loving almost every minute of it.

In Tucson we visited the Tucson Museum of Art, explored the neighborhoods high up the sides of the Catalina Mountains to the north of the city. There, we visited De Grazia's art gallery ( a well known Tucson folk artist), and attended the Tucson Symphony where we heard Beethoven's 9th Symphony with the full TSO Chorus. It was wonderful, but again the modern concert hall just couldn't compare to the elegance of Heinz in Pittsburgh.

We rode our bikes on the wide bike berm of the Old Nogales Highway among the pecan trees, watching them trim and irrigate. The San Xavier Del Bac Mission was a most impressive place because it is still used by the Tohono O'odham Indian's and is being beautifully restored.

We returned to the desert, this time visiting Saguaro National Monument -West. This Sonoran desert always amazes me with it's array of birds, wildlife, and marvelous cacti of seemingly infinite varieties.

The remainder of the week we spent tooting around Green Valley on our bikes. We like the fact that you can ride your bikes to do everything here. We topped off the week having lunch and a bike ride with John and Peggy. They are looking for a house, hoping to leave the farm in North Dakota for health reasons.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The main street in Green ValleyThe main street in Green Valley
The main street in Green Valley

LaCanada, with wide berms and the Santa Rita Mountains always in view
Bicycling friendsBicycling friends
Bicycling friends

John and Peggy are farmers from North Dakota. They have 1000 acres planted in lentils and wheat. Farming is hard work affecting John's health, so they are looking for a house in Green Valley.


19th May 2005

hello
Dear Jim and Joan, I found your blog through a search on google. I am a member of the Tucson Symphony Orchestra. Thank you for coming to our concert. I've lived in Tucson my entire life - except for going to school at Eastman School of Music and the New England Conservatory - and it was great to see Tucson through someone else's eyes. Thanks! Happy Traveling! - pearl

Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1099s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb