Boracay


Advertisement
Asia
January 9th 2011
Published: January 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Monaco SuitesMonaco SuitesMonaco Suites

view from the deck
Cole, Quinn Stu, Carly , Sheryl and I left Malapascua today. Luah and Jerry picked us up in an outrigger in the rain and took us over to Cebu. We loaded in a van for the 3 hour trip to the airport. On the way the van overheated, so they called for another, and miraculously it got there in about thirty minutes. It got us to the airport in time to catch our flight to Caticlan. Once there we took a short five minute ride to the port where we caught another water taxi over to the island of Boracay. this island has a completely different feel. Very developed with 2mile long white sand beaches, hotels and restaurants lining the beach, and all the tourist attractions you find at any beach resort. We checked in to Morroco Suites on the quiet side of the island, and Carly, Quinn, Cole And Stu checked in to the Regency in the middle of all the action.
Over the next few days Cole and Stu got their SCUBA cert. We explored the island, rented motorcycles, went scuba diving as a group, ate at some fun restaurants and relaxed. One day the guys went for a motorcycle adventure, and we ended up at a bat cave. This was a steep and deep cave, with sharp rocks covered in slimey bat guano. I would never have gone to the bottom except for my three companions who charged forward with a guide, and I didn't want to be left behind. It was hot and humid, the stench was heavy, no path, pitch black, and it was so slippery it was often difficult to find a foothold. We finally reached the bottom, and there was a salt water pond. Again I wasn't planning on getting near the water, but Cole jumped in so we had to follow. When we finally climbed out and shined a light around we spotted four different poisonous sea snakes. We were told later that they are eight times more poisonous than our rattlers.
We continued on our motorcycle adventure riding on the sand until we couldn't go any farther. Here we discovered a bar called the "Jungle" It was definitely off the beaten path and run by some native "hippy types". They invited us in for beers and fish and asked us to come back in a couple of days to their "Moon Festival", which lasts from dark to 5 in the morning for five days in a row. Have a feeling they were serving up more than booze.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Photo 3Photo 3
Photo 3

Bar Quinn and I discovered off Puka Shell Beach
The JungleThe Jungle
The Jungle

Cole's new friend from the "Jungle"
The JungleThe Jungle
The Jungle

Mixing it up with the proprieter
The JungleThe Jungle
The Jungle

Owner of the "Jungle"
Main Beach at BoracayMain Beach at Boracay
Main Beach at Boracay

Walking in the rain
Photo 17Photo 17
Photo 17

Local bar to escape the rain
Code-SchmodeCode-Schmode
Code-Schmode

This may not fly in Laguna
The Bat CaveThe Bat Cave
The Bat Cave

These were the poisonous snakes we found at the bottom of the cave.. These are sea snakes, and we saw four when we came out of the water.


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb