Beijing/Xi'an (Day 5-8)


Advertisement
Asia
July 28th 2010
Published: July 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 5

After a lazy morning we decided to try and find the Acrobatics theatre - which again looked very close to the tube station on the map but was impossible to find!!! However, instead we found an hisorical park (Ritan Park) which was just off a street with loads of embassy buildings that were guarded - pretty nice walk! The park was nice and relaxing and we sat on a bench where a guy appeared and started playing a flute and then some random lady tried to sing along but not very successfully!!

We later headed to Tian'amen square again to find somewhere to eat. We found a really busy shopping street which had lots of English shops and found a restaurant off of the main strip - the waitressess watched us eat and thought Brett was hilarious!

Day 6

After another lay in and "English style breakfast" in the hostel and despite our legs starting to ache from all our hopeless searching...we thought we better have another trip out on our last full day! We decided to head to the Temple of Heaven (finding it easy this time...as it was literally outside the tube station!) which was really historical and interesting...but again lots of walking as it wasn't easy to find our way out! Just outside we found a nice restaurant and finally got to try the Peking Duck (like we have at home).

We spent the evening in the hostel bar with a couple of guys (Chris from Canada and Felix from China) playing a few drinking games. We also had a few snacks off the night market again...

Day 7

The day of our departure from Beijing and Mandy had been up in the night with an upset tummy and this continued throughout the day which made her nervous for the long bus journey ahead. After checking out at 12 we waited to leave, relaxing in the common room. Mandy rested whilst Brett beat the Chinease and Americans at pool!!!

We left at 4pm and after a tube and taxi ride we found the bus station ok. The Sleeper Bus was like a coach but had three rows of bunkbeds. Despite being 5ft long and 1ft wide we both managed to get some sleep and it wasn't too bad, although it did take 18 hours!!!!!

Mandy was fine on the bus in the end but still felt a bit delicate...

Day 8

We arrived in Xi'an at lunch time and struggled to get a taxi at first but the station staff were very helpful and we eventually arrived at the hostel. When we checked in, a really helpful member of staff (Christian) was on his way home and offered to show us to the bank to get some money out and also helped us book our train in three days time to Chengdu!!! The room here is very nice although strangely the ensuite walls are clear glass, so we can constantly see each other...its like big brother!

Again it is really really hot and humid here and we have just relaxed this afternoon and will go and explore tomorrow...




Advertisement



Tot: 4.408s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0682s; 3; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb