here at last and yes it was worth it.......


Advertisement
Asia
May 30th 2010
Published: May 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The old adage it is not the destinastion but the journey does not ring true in this case. Three days, 4 plane trips and countless wasted hours at airports were tolerated by the pot of gold that we hoped was at the end of the rainbow.
After a 2 hour delay at Manilla airport we finally board a small plane and for the one hour journey. In my amazing efficiency I had not noted down the guest house we wanted to stay at and with amazing efficiency Sophie's text arrived and we stood in the main street looking around. Amphibi-ko ..strange name was literally 100 metres from where we had been dropped. We walked down the drive way to an obvious party and to be told with a huge smile...oh we thought you were coming tomorrow but no matter here is your room now come and join the party. Our room is a traditional bamboo Nippa hut which is the main shelter here and is very charming & spotlessly clean. It was the resort owners (a Japanese Pilot) son's first birthday (his name Tsubasa) and as we have discovered in PHil the 1st, 7th and girls 18th birthdays are really big deals. So we were fed, watched some games took some photos the children are soooo well behaved and a little shy although they loved having their photos taken.
Decided to go for a walk to the lookout at the top of the hill overlooking Coron. 750 odd steps later and we were treated to a beautiful sunset and a magnificent vista over Coron Bay to the Islands.
On the way to our rooms we booked an island hopping tour for the next day and returned to Amphibiko where most of the children had left only to be replaced by adults dringing local gin & iced tea (Gin $1.50 per 750 ml yes you read right) and singing Karaoke. Well that was the end of us...the duty free came out and soon we our new friends cancelled out boat trip & organised their house boat to take us all hopping the next day and they would bring all the food and pay the entrance fees..we paid the 1350 pesos for the boat for us all for the day ($35.00). Went to bed quite tipsy but with lots of new friends.

Island Hopping

After waking early, the excitement of exploring where we were living was too much so we headed out on the Jetty for some early morning photos and when we returned Kopi ( coffee) and breakfast consisting of garlic rice, a fried egg and something that resembled bacon but was crimson and chewy.
Then Ina (the young girl who is in Charge) set to work to organise lunch, this consisted of a quick trip to the local market for fresh produce and soon we were under way. Our party included Big boy, Captain, Velvet, Mumma, Dr Red (the Dentist) Tsubasa & Paul & I. Our first stop Tagbanua native people & their magnificent Cayangan lake. We climbed over the mountain to be greeted by a truly beautiful vista. Spent the next hour snorkelling in the lake and playing with underwater camera, then it was off to sunset beach where we were served a fabulous fish, noodle seaweed (little bubbles of seaweed dipped in vinegar which pop in your mouth) and of coarse the obligatory gin & Iced tea. We were the last ones on the beach after having some monor engine trouble but this was no way an inconvenience as the snorkelling was great. We were even serenaded by the local Elvis for a while then back in the boat to visit twin rocks where we swam through a hole in the rocks to a secret bay and finally moored the boat near an island which turns out to be a marine park where we again snorkelled and fed the fish rice. There were an incredible no of different fish and it really was like swimming in a tropical aquarium.
I must say I have seen some beachesand believe Australia has the worlds best but combine 35 degrees, warm oceans, pristine white sand beaches, magnificent snorkelling, swimming in a free aquarium and palm trees. We are amazed that the only tourists we have seen are Filipinos and yet the locals do not harass or stare at you. This is certainly a nice change from India. The people have the most magnificent smiles and if you smile at them their faces instantly light up. From the boat drivers to the street sweepers they seem genuinely happy. A walk around town in the evening, a few san miguels and off for some much deserved rest.

Moving & Motor Bikes

This morning we awoke to heavy rain but by 9 it was scorching and brilliant sunshine. Insa decides to tell us that she is full today but she has found us a room in another guest house which she takes us to in a cyclo. This place has a pool which is very unusual in Coron. We farewell Ina but will see her in a few days as she has organised an island camping trip for us. Paul has rented a Motor bike & we head out of town on the nice concrete road that lasts for aroung 10 kms before we hit the dirt and see bridge after washed away bridge so we have to cross through the streams that must turn into raging torrents to cause the damage we see. This part of the island is sparsely populated and we are much more of a novelty with many people and especiallly the children yelling out Hello to us. There are long distances between villages which seem to be built on rivers and foreshores. We get as far as Concepcion where ther is supposed to be a waterfall but it is too dry. Found an interesting mediterranean looking guesthouse for lunch.....they seemed so happy to see us as they had no guests then made the trip home much to my bum's delight as it was feeling the 80 km dirt road trip so we went to the hot springs where the water is a very hot 38 to 41 degrees and when you are sunburnt and tired it certainly relaxed the muscle although were too hot to stay in too long. Then a quick swim at the hotel, retun the bike and book our first wreck diving trip with Coron divers the only locally owned dive company for tomorrow. The crew are very funny and when I asked if they had a wet suit big enough for me one guys yelled out Yes Mam you need an extra extra sexy suit therfore instantly winning me over...easy to please I am. Back at the Darayana guest house another birthday party is taking place this time a 7 year old girl and there must have been 100 people there. Again I realise how quiet & polite the filipons are. We are always called Sir & mam and they excuse themselves all the time. So far I am blown away by this area if it were Bali or Thailand is would be swarming with people but there are so few tourists that they genuinely seem to enjoy greeting and helping us .........and so the adventure continues

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb