madikeri - mangalore


Advertisement
Asia
April 26th 2010
Published: April 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

hi

sorry still no photos, damn internet so slow i cannot upload.

so just a quick update as i do get very annoyed with clunky internet....

we spent one night in madikeri and the next day went to a town called Kushalangar, which has two main features nearby

the first is an elephant camp for "retired forestry commission" elephants. i am not sure what they do for the forestry commission but i beleve they do work actually. it was a bit sad, as some of the elephants were chained. not seriously, it didn't look like they were in pain or anything, just so they couldn't charge at annoying children i suppose. however, me and monica wandered off the beaten track a bit, and came across a big, old elephant and his mahoot and he wasn't chained, in fact he was having a good old scratch on a tree, which was absolutely charming to watch.

after the elephant camp, we went to a tibetan refugee camp. it's a bit odd, as it is so far away from tibet, but india apparantly said the tibetans could ave this area and it is like a "little tibet" here in the south of india. there is a monastry and a temple housing an 18m high golden buddha. we ate tibetan food, which was amazing and just generally wandered around savouring the atmosphere, it did feel a bit like being a different country! we will visit more tibetan places in the north i expect.

those of you who are reading regularly, will know that we have been intending for some time now to go kerala. it has been proving difficult. in goa we couldn't get a train and that is why we ended up in the south of karnataka (glad we did now though as Kodagu was amazing). anyway, we then ended up sort of "stuck" in madikeri, as it's a small town and buses go all over but no trains, so we decided to get a bus to Mangalore, which is going back north a bit, but at least has a train station.

and finally, yippee skip, we have managed to book a train! we have spent one night in Mangalore, where it is insanely hot, and later today get on a train to Kollam in the south of Kerala.

so think i will leave it there for now, as the internet cafe is packed full of people and computers and therefore even sweatier than the general atmosphere.

will update from kerala when we finally do make it......!



Advertisement



27th April 2010

Insanely Jealous :-)
Hi Karen, I'm really enjoying the tales of your adventures and I'm very jealous. Sounds like you're having a fantastic time. Hugs, JD
29th April 2010

hi karen Did you ride any elephants? I guess that Liz is no longer with you and Monica. Well election is close. See you by Xmas.. Marcia

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb